Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carbon Steel for flue?

More time for beer then......
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

hey nate, i think it would be a good idea to stay away from any kind of automotive spray (even being high temp), definately not food grade, and also because it would be sprayed on the inside, you dont know if it will smell/flake/peel because it will get burnt, rather than just being sprayed onto a hot surface. Maybe just not worth the risk nate.
      IMO, i think it would be a good idea to put some kind of insulation around the flue then bricking and mortaring up to the flue, you have to let the oven move with the heating & cooling cycles, plus i have a friend that mortared right up to the flue....it cracked...lots. (he also didnt know what he was doing either)

Ofcourse take this advice with a grain of salt....i havent even finished my oven yet.
      Aussie Pete

250th Aussie on this forum...."so i was told"

Comment

So I have decided to go the double-barrel stainless flue route because the stainless pipe is free and should be indestructable (1/4" thick) although heavy. But Nate's flue-coating question got me to thinking and I found this:

Stove Paint - High Temperature Stove Paint

Some of the products here are designed for stove exhausts and can withstand 1000F continuously. Given that the flue is outside the cooking chamber, is there really a danger of condensation/back flow that could affect food inside the oven?

John

Comment

Hey John,

I actually saw that exact same paint at the local supply store here in my area two days ago and I asked about it. The guy made it sound like it could work but seemed a bit unsure of the application I was considering using it for. We ended up talking more about different single and double-walled metal flues and got away from the spray so I never got a definitive yes or no.

It seems like the consensus seems to be not to waist my time on this type of metal flue and to look into other options. I appreciate everybody's input and if I ever get my oven project out of the design/planning stage and into the actual build stage I will let you know what I decided.

Thanks
          Nate
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Nate:

It sounds like you have the beginnings of an upright smoker, or maybe even an offset smoker. Use the steel for that, and stick to clay or stainless for the pizza oven.

Comment

Working...
            X