Help needed! can't get a good draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help needed! can't get a good draw

You are probably getting more info than you want on these issues, but here is some more for you. I think there are some important variables involved in designing and using a blast door. You control the air charge in the oven with the size of the openings in the door, so you can be conservative with the air charge transiting the blast door by design. Secondly, a smaller fire with a blast door isn't as hard on the refractory as a larger fire and a blast door, so you can slow the heat charge that way. It is all under your control. I've controlled these variables with smaller openings in the blast door for the air charge and smaller fires that take about 70 to 90 minutes before getting the heat charge I'm looking for. A fairly conservative management protocol.

David s is correct in saying you can go too far with a big fire and ram air to feed a hot, hot fire. I have a lot of wind directly into the oven entry and do not have much choice unless I want to breathe smoke, which I don not. You pay your money and take your choice.
    Last edited by Lburou; 05-25-2012, 08:29 PM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Help needed! can't get a good draw

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
      This is my blast door. This is my insulating door.
      Can't seem to see the links - can you re-share?

Comment

Working...
      X