X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to finish the dome

Originally posted by rans View Post
    Hey All,
    It took me some time but finally I'm ready for the top coating of the dome.
    As you suggested I used ~1-2inch vermicrete on top of the insulation blanket+wire.
    now I have two more questions -
    1. I finished the vermicrete ~2 month ago and the dome bricks ~6 month ago, can I haste the curing process (It is quite warm around here)? I guess that after so much time not much humidity left.

2. I want to use broken ceramic tiles on top of the dome (similar to the floor), is it recommended to put a stacco on top of the vermicerte before attaching the tiles?

Thanks
    the way I would proceed would be as follows. No doubt others may advise differently.

1. Sun and wind should have removed much of the water from the vermicrete, provided rain hasn't added more, but keep your fires gentle until all the moisture has gone. Try throwing some plastic sheet over the dome and see if there is any condensation under it.

2. Once you have removed the water give the thing a coat of stucco and then wrap it in cling wrap and leave it for a week. Add the tiles after about 10 decent cooking fires and any cracks in the stucco have been filled. Then you can add the tiles using a waterproof grout.
    Last edited by david s; 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I agree with David. The use of plastic to detect moisture is the best and easiest way. I am at your stage, but have applied a waterproof sealer by Crommelin, called "Natural Finish Sealer" see Natural Finish Sealer: Waterproofing: Crommelin . It rained heavily the other day and water ran off it like rats from a fire. However, I worry about fine cracks in my stucco layer and perhaps I should have wrapped that in plastic too? So far though, so good, as I've used the oven in anger a few times since then and no problems. I will eventually do as you are doing - apply tiles using a waterproof grout.
      JT
      Willetton, Perth
      Western Australia
      My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

I had used the vermicrete for mine oven before six months and I found no problem till now, so I would go for the vermicrete.

Comment

Working...
        X