Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advantage of having counter level with oven entry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantage of having counter level with oven entry?

I'm in the process of planning countertops for my oven landing and (yet-to-be-built) adjoining prep table. My plan has thus far has been to put the landing counters level with the oven entry and floor. I've realized that although the ~42 inch height of my oven floor and entry is great for working the oven, it's a bit high for a comfortable countertop. So I've been imagining that the prep table will be a separate piece of counter and lower than the landing. But as I've thought about it more, I'm wondering if it's worth it to have even the landing level with the oven floor.

See, my oven sits on 4" of CalSil board, so it's 6.5" from the structural slab to the oven floor. Potentially I could just place my countertops on the structural slab, making it more useful workspace.

So, can anyone out there weigh in on how valuable it is to have one's landing even with the oven floor? It sounds great in principle to be able to slide things straight into the oven, but I've been lifting things in thus far from the slab and it's not that big of a deal...
    My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Re: Advantage of having counter level with oven entry?

Mine has a step to it and I don't see it as a problem at all.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Once again you've beaten me to the punch. I've been contemplating the same thing. While my hearth floor is only 5” above my structural slab, I haven't had any issue lifting pots and roasting pans into my oven.

You and Les have convinced me. I just needed a nudge to think about it some more.

IMHO the advantages/simplicity of laying the countertops on the slab and building a decorative arch with a reveal at the entry outweigh the benefit of being able to slide a pan straight off/onto the counter.

It may even help to keep water from getting into my oven during a torrential rain or snow melt. Thanks for the post.

Aaarrgh! I'm already starting to second guess myself again. Hopefully others will join your thread to help you (us) decide what is best.

Regards,
      AT

Comment

My $0.02, I would never even consider having the landing at a different level than the oven opening. I'm sure you get used to whatever you have - but I find that I cook a lot with heavy cast iron pots, and it's pretty handy to be able to slide them in and out of the stove without having to lift them.

FWIW, I do have a basis for comparison. I cooked with my oven for 5 or 6 months before I got my finished landing in place, so I had a ~3 1/2 inch drop from my oven to the concrete below. I much prefer having the landing there at the same level as the oven opening.

I had the same drop from the oven opening to the slab. I solved it by pouring another layer of concrete on the slab, and then mounting a pretty thick landing on top of that. I liked having a thicker pour for the landing because I thought it looked better.
        Last edited by deejayoh; 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I like the oven at 44", and the counters close to 36". I use 44" for the counter top back splash because I like everything to line up. If I'm not worried about sliding a fridge under the counter , a 34" counter is more comfortable for kneading dough.

Comment

My oven floor is about .125 inch higher than my landing just to make it easier to move the door in and out, the oven floor brick has a small chamfer to make the transition smoother and not chip that little rise in the brick to the inside.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Working...
            X