Oven in existing brick outbuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven in existing brick outbuilding

Thanks, got the idea (I hope). I'll put it into Sketchup with the oven higher off the ground and the flared opening taken off. I like this much more than my original setup - it had too many roofs.

I'll ask a friendly local builder to help me with the flashing (and probably with the slates too). In this part of the country people combine grey slate with lead flashing - looks nice and grey I suppose.

I think I'll start with building the roof over the whole thing with allowance designed in for the chimney, as you suggest, but temporarily covered until I get the oven and the chimney up. This will make me less weather dependent.

I think I can then get rid of the shed altogether, or build some basic walls at the edges of the roof.

Thanks again.

W.
    Last edited by Wlodek; 08-15-2007, 06:56 AM. Reason: articles and minor clarifications
    "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

Comments taken on board (thanks!) , shed demolished (the virtual one). New design pictures attached.

In the view from above you can see how there is quite a lot of sheltered storage space.

There is also electrics and water tap (somewhere).

I used some components from the Google Sketchup repository - very useful ('Chopped wood' by baldeagle and 'Grills and ovens' by Phil).

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I'll report any progress and ask more questions as I go along.

W.

Comment

Looks good! Why is the oven so deep though?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Archena,

Thanks

The oven itself isn't that deep. See the attached "naked oven" picture. This is the same component (in Sketchup lingo) I used in the patio design (I'll post the components or the whole thing if anyone wants it). You have this plus vertical brick walls around its perimeter. I have even cut off the shelf in front of the oven (making it less deep) so that I can put a nice old cast-iron door on the front. This would be in addition to the internal oven door (metal and wood), and with a function of keeping the cats, spiders, snails, slugs and children out of the oven.

Cats won't be deprived though, as I am sure they will love it on top of the oven, with the shelter of the roof and the gentle warmth coming from below. Children will be suitably trained when they reach the required height and will then be allowed to bake pizzas for me. The other creatures will be discouraged permanently.

In the back of the enclosure (sorry, the "from above" view in the previous post with 5 pictures is not that clear) there is some storage space, which I want to keep out of sight to make it look tidy. The space (I guess - a reminder that there used to be a shed there) can also be locked - there is a door planned on the left side of the oven.

I am afraid now it is "just" getting the materials and doing it. Unless I botched something big time with the design, that is.

Best wishes from the wet South Lakes,

W.

Comment

Ah, I see now - cool!

I'm a little slow on the uptake lately.

Best wishes!
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

A suggestion. Someone, I think it was Marcel, had the bright idea of using two parallel ridge beams instead of one in the center, to deal with the centered chimney problem.

There's no reason for the ridge to be centered, and this could be easier and stronger than splitting it where the chimney comes through.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Old Post from 08-17-07 Re: Double ridge beam

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                A suggestion. Someone, I think it was Marcel, had the bright idea of using two parallel ridge beams instead of one in the center, to deal with the centered chimney problem.

There's no reason for the ridge to be centered, and this could be easier and stronger than splitting it where the chimney comes through.
                (M) David, I only wish that I could claim credit for that original idea. It came from someone's father in law. My solution was not nearly that elegant. My metal flue has flexible elbows that allow the flue to zig zag by the side of the ridge beam.

Ciao,

Marcel 03-06-08
                "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
                but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Working...
                X