Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

RT, your oven was my inspiration! Your oven was the one that convinced me that I really *had* to build one myself! I'm proud to be in second place behind your oven. (And utterly amazed to be there at all... )
    Last edited by Frances; 06-20-2010, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
    Beautiful work! Is Allschwil near Hutwil?
    Not really... allthough it depends what you mean by "near" - its half way accross Switzerland or about 2 hours away by car (small country... ). Why, do you know Hutwil?

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Frances, I just did the goolge search.........How could my oven be #1, top of the list?
    You are the mosaic goddess. At best, I'm somewhere in the 7-10 rank, It was all the truly great mosaic domes that led to my build.
    Where do we go to complain, or better yet, lobby for your oven to be #1

RT

Leave a comment:

• Eric Pfeifer
    replied

Beautiful work! Is Allschwil near Hutwil?

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

Well there is definitely something wrong with google. I am sure if you googled "cool mosaic oven" you would be #1. I guess everyone will have to click on your site 10 times per day so that you are in your appropriate order.
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Bravo! That's neat!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Hey guys, waddaya know.... I just discovered that if you google "mosaic oven", mine comes in second place. Wow, that's kind of cool - fame at last!!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Wow thanks, glad you enjoyed it... I didn't think anyone would dig up this old thread again.

The oven survived the Winter really well, and it was a really COLD on this year and all! Having said that, three of the marbles did come loose and are currently sitting in the kitchen wating to be stuck back on again.

I think I'll have to do minor renovations about once a year to keep it all in good condition... but the cool thing about it is, theres so much clour and swirls, that you really can't tell if anything's missing or not!

Leave a comment:

• ksm
    replied

Just spent an hour reading the saga and thoroughly enjoying -- and envying -- the pictures of your wonderful, wonderful oven. The question now is, how did the mosaic survive the winter? To borrow a former radio commentator's phrase, what's "the rest of the story"?

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Cool, I look forward to seeing what you come up with! In my opinion, the world cannot have too many mosaics.

You know, I think even if you wanted to duplicate it, the finished oven would look completely different. Just look at how different our ovens all turn out while following the same design plans.

Leave a comment:

• David Manchester
    replied

You know the more I look at your oven the more I really love all the tile work....I would love to do more to mine, when I get the chance. I just have to come up with a design that works, and try not to copy yours

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Hey yes, good idea Dusty! We're doing that again in 2009 then? Cool!!!

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post

The party's a good idea, but I'll definately wait until the chimney's finished
    Hopefully you will get er done for "World Pizza Party ll".

I am thinking that WPP l was in Feb.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I think your oven looks like an Arabella, but that's just my humble opinion... I still don't know what mine looks like. I can't even decide if it's a girl or a guy... all I know is: it isn't a Woody.

I think we need a poll on this critical issue.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Thank you all very very much! Building this oven wouldn't have been the same without you lot!

This is such a great forum... I enjoyed building the oven a lot, but I also really enjoy being part of this comunity. So thank you James and everybody else, for making this the wonderful place it is. And thank you for all the encouraging comments along the way, I value every one of them!

I have no idea how long its taken me to get this far. I started 16 months ago... so lets see... do all the shopping trips for bricks and etc count, too? At a wild guess I worked maybe 10 hours a week more or less, on average... so that'd be about 640 hours of work. Does that sound right?

The party's a good idea, but I'll definately wait until the chimney's finished (HaHAA - not finished yet after all!!), maybe even for warmer weather in Spring. That'll give me a bit of time to think up a good name, too.

And here specially for PizzaPolice, is one last picture - nearly black and white, too, as dogs are colour blind...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X