Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Pompeii Oven in Switzerland: the Saga Continues...

Thank you all very much for your kind comments!

I've been really busy on the oven recently, but a bit fed up because there seemed to be diddley squat to show for it...

But today I discovered that if I climb onto the oven and over the fence into our neighbour's garden I can actually see the oven from BEHIND!!

Of course my first thought was to share the view with you lot. The second pic is a beauty shot from the side, not because there's any progress, but just because I felt like it.

Btw, if any of you think crawling into your oven to clean the inside of the dome is uncomfortable, try doing a couple of hours of mosaics half way up an oven with your head down between the base and the fence, your hair tangled in the fence wire and your nose about three inches from the little fiddley tiles... I'm surprised its turned out as well as it has, I couldn't see what I was doing half the time. The other half I was clutching my head going, gosh I feel so dizzy.

There's simply no end to the fun you can have with an oven, is there?

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

I'm still in awe of Frances' new Avatar - such sweet work!!!!!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Just more & more amazing with each new bit you do - it looks great!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Absolutely stunning work!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Oh, I love the last picture. Did you sprout wings to get that one?

It looks lovely and I can relate on the rain. But the major problem finishing here is I ran out of vermiculite... but I have found 3 more bags and should be on my way again as soon as hurricane season lets us breathe again.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Short break in the rain yesterday, so out I went... once the upper dome and chimney was finished I was thinking "hey, nearly done now".

... but NOO, the base must have about the same surface area as the dome. And more rain today, with nothing for me to do apart from posting the pics of my minimal progress. Never mind I'll get there one of these days!

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Rog,

You've done stepped in it now......

Watch out!!!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by BrritSki View Post
    That's the sort of thing I was thinking of for my oven, broken coloured tiles in a sort of Gaudi style, but not quite so um, gaudy

I remember you mentioned it - and I certainly pricked my ears up on that one. You can bet I'll be watching your build with great interest.

Leave a comment:

• BrritSki
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Here are some more from a distance...
    Wow, that's fantastic !

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of for my oven, broken coloured tiles in a sort of Gaudi style, but not quite so um, gaudy

Ciao Rog

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Frances, it's a thing of beauty - well done!!!
    And after all the debate about blue or green, yellow is just the perfect touch.
    Love it!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    I'm already the proud recipient of one BOTM award. I want a chance to vote for Les' oven.
    Oh, that's right. I forgot! My memory is slipping.
    Yeah... Les should get the next one!

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Thank you very much! You're getting me all embarassed now...

But while I think it would be really nice to restart BOTM voting, it you can't be nominated for the same thing twice... I'm already the proud recipient of one BOTM award. I want a chance to vote for Les' oven.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Frances,

It's just plain stunning. This is the most amazing thing I've seen on FB (and there's a LOT of amazing things here).

AHHHEMMM... JAMES? Are you out there?? BOTM for August... This one right here.

Leave a comment:

• Ed_
    replied

I am more and more amazed with every update. That's just beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Here are some more from a distance and one of the poor oven's neglected backside. I'd like you all to pay special attention to that one...

...because sure as heck no once else will!

Actually that's not entirely true. The oven's right up against the neighbours fence, so its quite hard to see the back. But you'd be surprised how many people walk all the way round into the pokey little corner there to check that the swirls go all the way round!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X