Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Door (kind of)

Hi carioca......."lamb in a tomb" - thats got to be Australian for kleftiko

I showed my Greek Cypriot mate this a while back and he said cutting out all the oxygen does stop it burning. It seem like the bottom third of the dish is water/olive oil.

I've only done a roast in my oven twice - it was 200C and took about 2.5 to 3 hours (not sealed that well). Wonder what others experiences are.
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Lovley work!

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
        Nicely said dmun.

Sorry to inturrupt this interesting discussion, just an update on my door:

...Its a piece of crap!

Hey Francis,

Sorry to chime in late on the door you've built... It looks great (you get extra 'style' points...) and I think I can see why the heat works through the door...

You have built the door with the metal on the hot side of the door, directly connected to the metal on the outside of the door with metal. The heat will 'saturate' anything it can touch... So when you heat up the metal in the inside of the door, the heat just wicks around the edges to the cold side of the door.. a complete and easy path for the heat.

Can you rebuild the door to exchange the connection between the hot and the cold side of the door with something that won't conduct heat as well as the metal? Like wood? or is there another material that will keep the space between the hot and cold side, and keep the space for the insulation, but break the path for the heat to move from one side of the door to the other...

Just and idea..

Since you started this door three months ago, have you come up with another solution yet?

I've finished the insulation on my Pompeii (pics in the photo gallery), and will start the stucco (render) tomorrow, curing fires are in process, roasts by the end of this week...

Best..

JED

Comment

Thanks for the input Jed.

I think you're probably right. The door's just sitting there at the moment - I use it very rarely when I want the oven to cool down a bit faster... I'm using the two blocks of aerated concrete for my "real" door now.

But I'll get back to it sometime, keeping the ideas knocking around in the meantime.

Good work on your oven... Let us know about how your roasts turn out. Oh and fire pictures are always very cool!
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I like your door. My last project took me 4 years to complete - It was a replica WW2 VW jeep ("K?belwagen"). I made the entire body by hand out of steel sheet, and I have to say, metal is more forgiving than wood or masonry. You can totally screw-up something in steel and fix it. So, I think that even though you don't enjoy working with metal, you did a wonderful job! I still need to make a door for my oven and yours gives me some inspiration.

Ken Morgan
            Oregon, USA

Comment

"or with a stronger type of insulation?"

I used the 3/4 inch bat type of insulation that is used to surround the oven liner on an electric range. You can get it at the local dump (recycler) or can buy it at places that service appliances. Is has a heavy foil cover on one side that, if you have it facing out, is not unattractive.

Comment

I made someone paranoid!

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

So, did you ever get back to that door, Frances?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Nah, I made a better (simpler and less expensive) one, which is described here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/d...wood-5191.html

I'll go and put some up-to-date info on that thread.
                  The metal one is hanging arount outside somewhere, and just doesn't get used because it doesn't work as well.
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                  X