Weatherproof stucco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weatherproof stucco?

Hi Uno (JP).....can you give some detail of each part of your 3 coat stucco.....please?

or do I need to send around my Sicilian mate to sort you out
    (just jokes)

Be interested as I'm nearly ready to stucco my dome (over 2inch insulating blanket) and it will be out in the weather.

Just not sure how thick to do each layer as I'm guessing you don't just do one stucco layer all up.

I'm guessing the mix is 4:1:1 (coarse sand - Portland cement - hydrated lime).

PS.... hope you don't mind a bit of Aussie humour
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hey Damon,

Generally (as I realize this is a worldwide forum) the steps for a 3 part stucco are:
      Scratch coat- this just covers the tar paper and wire. how thick? I make it just thick enough to cover the wire completely (about 3/8") then "scratch" it to make the second coat bond better
      Brown coat- this is the coat that will be the base "frosting" like on a cake you will want it nice and even and smooth "sponge float smooth"
      Finish coat- this is your finish "frosting" depending on the product you use could be from 1/8" think up to 1/4" thick. it is applied (generally) with a very stiff sponge float at a consistency of....lets say slightly more dry than a white wash. If you have layed brick the finish/color coat is like a good mortar wetness then adding enough water to make it pourable..My brain is just not functioning at full capacity tonight. I can seem to describe this process in recognizable terms at all, I'm sorry. I hope this helps for now.
      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

thanks Uno.....got me on track now
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I spend another morning calling and asking for waterproof stucco. It seems there are still lots of stucco-opportunities here in Holland for the right entrepreneur.

In the end I found some real hitech (and waterproof) stuff which would cost me around 35 euros a bag (of 25 kg, of which I would need 4 bags). Nahhh.

After calling manufactures producing the average stucco I found that waterrepellant is NOT waterproof. And you can forget about coloured finish layers here in Holland as well.

Most stucco here in Holland is made up 2 layers, a basis and a finish although you can easliy apply just one layer if you think the first layer is smooth enough.

Here's what I did: I applied one layer of average stucco and made it nice and smooth. I will paint it with a high quality waterproof paint afterwards.

By the way there is some special stuff on the market here (called PUDLO) which if added will make mortar waterproof. You have to make the mortar yourself though (and it may not contain lime, which was the reason I did not use it because it would have made the mortar to rigid).

The recipe for a (not waterproof) stucco mortar that Bacterium (is that a special pizza you make?) gave sounds ok to me.

Any comments Uno?
          Last edited by rick; 06-13-2007, 02:13 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=rick;11398]

The recipe for a (not waterproof) stucco mortar that Bacterium (is that a special pizza you make?)
            QUOTE]

[/
            Its what you become if you eat too much cheese
            ......or should I say if you put too much cheese on your pizza.
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...
            X