Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cement Board, Hardiebacker, Durock... Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cement Board, Hardiebacker, Durock... Which one?

Dutch, your statement best somes it up......There is something wrong when a customer takes on that attitude. We think it is amazing that retailers can be so blind to their mistakes and think "hey, they changed things overnight, giving us a painful shopping experience, they will fix it when we stop buying or buy less" . The truth is, these moves are calculated and a certain decline in POS $$$ is acceptable if they have 1) implemented serious cost cutting, or 2) found another source of revenue without much investment. In this case both retailers have done both, thats why it has taken several yrs for them to react or change what we have been bitching about. Its All about the God Almighty Dollar...customer service BE DAMNED.

Comment

Just yesterday I was in Lowe's. I asked three different people if they carried brick, and they all told me to go out to the home and garden section. Of course everything out there is made out of colored concrete.

Not that I expected to find what I wanted there (let alone any selection) but still... brick is brick, and concrete isn't.

Well. This thread has gone thoroughly off topic, hasn't it?

Comment

I took it off course, so I will start it back.....

Does anyone have any new thoughts or preferences on the various cement backer boards for exterior use??? Whether it be Durock, HardiBacker, WonderBoard or any other brand you have come across. We all learn from each others successes/failures, maybe someone can shed more light on these products.

RT

Comment

I've used them all. I prefer (in order) WonderBoard, Durock, HardiBacker. Hardibacker is a good product, I just found it a pain in the butt to cut. Durock is easy to shape but it crumbles fairly easy; makes a mess. Wonderboard seems to be the best of both worlds. IMO

Les...
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Whichever product you use the manufacturers recommend scoring and snapping as the silica dust generated by sawing is toxic stuff. For holes I use a Hole Pro hole cutter so I can make the exact size hole I need and it has a shield to catch all the silica dust and shavings. The tungsten carbide blades work great cutting through Hardi/Hardie products as well as sheet metal, plywood, sheetrock.

Comment

Actually, any of the gypsum fiber/cement based boards like Hardi and Dragonboard are not good for exterior applications since you have to apply special mortar to seal them. Once they are cut or even scratched they do begin to slowly take on moisture. They're best used indoors under wood floors where it's easier to guarantee a moisture seal. Otherwise, use the cement/fiberglass backer boards like Durock, Permabase, or my new preference SelectCrete.

Comment

Hardie Backer contains no gypsum fiber (according to it's website).
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

In response to your acronym; Lack Of Well Educated Staff.
                  If you are going to Lowe's to find out how complete a construction project from an $8.00 an hour floor attendant, I would say you are sadly mistaken on your expectations of Lowes staff. Does your shipping clerk know the metalurgical qualities of all the metals you use in construction of your ovens?
                  I believe you owe Lowe's and ALL their staff an apology.

Comment

Products like Durock and Wonderboad are true cement board products. Think of them as just "cement". Nothing in the sheet can be damaged by repeated wetting and drying cycles.

Hardie is cementitious-based like the two products above, but it also contains cellulose fibers, or "paper" fibers. With its different formulation, Hardie has mixed use limits and mixed warranty coverage.

Hardie divides the country in half, into a northern and southern section. Run an east-west line along the northern boundaries of Arizona, Oklahoma, and North Carolina. North of the line is considered a "cold" climate. There are restrictions on it's use in cold climates in the north.

Recommendations for exterior use? Durcok and Wonderboard are both fine products, but I give Durock the edge because it's easier to handle.

For interior use all three are fine, but I still prefer Durock.

There are quite a few other tile backer boards out there, but be careful of anything that comes from the same manufacturers that market gypsum board, or "drywall". The latest/greatest tile backer boards come with an impervious waterproof skin that protects a modified gypsum core. The gypsum core, while "water resistant", can still be damaged. Great care needs to be taken to detail every fastener penetration through the board and every cut edge.

So for exterior use? I recommend sticking with a true cement board; Durock or Wonderboard.

Edit to add: 1/4" or 1/2" has already been covered, but I'll repeat it: Use 1/2" on walls where it will be fastened to studs. 1/2" is stiff enough to not flex between studs. On flat surfaces that have full support (on a counterrop, over a subfloor, etc) 1/4" or 1/2" can be used.

Best, Mongo
                    Last edited by mongota; 09-29-2014, 03:50 PM. Reason: added info
                    Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

Working...
                    X