Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven door rope seals

Originally posted by david s View Post
    It certainly wouldn't be classed as "food safe" but neither is timber. I use millboard BIO as an insulating panel as the material is safe.
    Clean untreated Pine or Oak as far as I know is okay for food contact. After all my wine barrels are made from Oak and my peels are Pine. I don't understand about "timber." I would never use chemically treated wood near food or those species considered dangerous to eat.

Comment

Burntfingers
      I would stay away from plastic bubbles as they most certainly outgas PVC's.
      There is no plastics in the rope seal, only braided glass fibres.
      I would agree with you if it was resinous or fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP)

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

The plastic bubble reference was meant to be a joke. A poor attempt at humor on my part. It has no reference to using it on a WFO. I guess we don't speak the same dialect of English. Close only counts in playing horse shoes and hand grenades. Not in English.
        Sorry.

Comment

Any wood is considered not food safe presumably because of its cellular structure and its ability to harbor bacteria. Commercial kitchens are not really meant to use wooden- handled knives. All butchers use plastic-handled knives now. I think it is a bit ridiculous and an overkill but thats our law makers for you.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Isn't it ironicle that for centuries, ie. until the advent of plastics was introduced in 1938 when Nylon was introduced, that wood was the staple material that most utensils were used in/on and now it is deemed unsuitable.

Commercial kitchens are not really meant to use wooden- handled knives. All butchers use plastic-handled knives now.
            I don't take these regulations too seriously as wood will be around for centuries to come and will still be used. Granted, some is chemically processed, some very porous whilst other types (hardwood, close grained) lend themselves for continued use. I have some very dense Mulga, personally collected from the centre of Australia where there were no chemicals used which will be put to use at some stage in the kitchen or replacement handles on the best and oldest most used knives. Let's face it, bacteria will still find its way in behind plastics handle layers, so good housekeeping and hygiene principles need to be observed when dealing with food, more so with the public than at home.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,
              I totally agree with you. Stainless steel is about the only material deemed safe for food prep. Those commercial knives are made with the handles moulded on in one piece so there is no possibility of bacteria getting between the layer of plastic and steel. We were at the Gold Coast for a couple of weeks recently and I went into a shop to buy some ham off the bone. The shop assistant took out the ham with uncovered hands, sliced the requested quantity, wrapped it up, took my money, then brushed her hair with her hand. Now this is how we all (us old folk) remember things being done, but by modern commercial hygiene standards this is not good enough. I didn't say anything, the ham was nice and we ate it all.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Then you cook it at intolerable temperatures that kill off any bad stuff. I will still do my wine in Oak for the flavor and use our Rock maple butcher block. We are not commercial.
                B-

Comment

sodium silicate can be easily bought off ebay,, I used it as a rigidizer for the insulation in my home made forge... Its a thick liquid and can be brushed or thinned and sprayed on,, cooks to a stiff glass finish... For the americans here that are familiar with the Cash for Klunkers program, this is the stuff the govt, required to pour in car engines that were turned in so the engines were rendered totally unusable and couldnt be resold... Just some info...
                  cheers
                  mark

Comment

The Sodium Silicate Wikipedia article referenced by SpringJim mentions, under "Refractory use", mixing it with vermiculite or perlite to form a hard, high temperature insulation board.
                    Has anyone tried this in lieu of a vermiculite/Portland cement mixture? If so what were the ratios used? How was the mixture cured? Is there any information relating the thickness of the mixture to the reduction in temperature from on side of the mixture to the other side?
                    There have been a lot of discussions about the use of sodium silicate, or waterglass, but I'm not aware of anyone who's used it and reported back. Most of the discussions were about high temperature mortar. If you do a Google search for:

site:fornobravo.com waterglass oven

You'll see lots of threads listed.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I found some other good sources: Chemicalstore.com and Refractory.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com they source many refractrory items.
                      B

Comment

you can try oven door rope with special rope seal adhesive

Comment

Working...
                        X