Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven door rope seals

Hi all,
    as a result of making a rope seal assembly for the late Hendo's oven, I have been requested to start a new thread on the subject.
    In my Pompeii oven construction, I included a heavy angle iron frame set into the dome entrance so that it will expand at a different rate to the fire bricks. A narrow (10mm wide) stainless chanel was welded to this frame and I purchased some fibreglass braided rope made for the sealing of wood heaters and inseted it into the groove. See:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...10-a-2119.html

Craig has requested information on the seal which is avalable from a combustin store supplier in Melbourne Victoria in numerous diameters. I chose the 18mm but is available up to 25mm rope.
    The rope seal for Hendo's oven was also made from stainless steel with a 10mm groove in which the reaining offcut from my oven is to be used. A nice friction fit exists and protruded around 5 to 7mm. It can be more if you conpress the length of th rope whilst feeding it into the groove but then lacks that compressability that I feel I need for the door(s) to seal against.
    With Hendo's door, I plan to make from a piece of 3/4" insulation board with a stell or stainless backing, cut 10mm higher and 20mm wider than the oven opening and resting up against the rope seal: - very quick and easy until something more substantial is requird and cast.
    Picture 1 - My oven opening with the still to be trimmed 18mm rope
    Picture 2 - Hendo's rope seal frame to be bolted to the oven opening
    Picture 3 - 18mm Rope seal
    Picture 4 - my oven door without the brass fittings but with fully adjustable hinges.
    Hope this is of assistance to those who need to seal their ovens.

Regards.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Re: Oven door rope seals

That is the stuff used to seal airtight woodstove doors, it's usually set into a channel.

You can use waterglass as an adhesive agent to hold the rope in place when needed.

The stuff lasts forever....I've only had to change it once on a Jotul stove.

Jim

PS....nice to see Hendo's oven getting finished with some FB help....there are a lot of us who are supportive...thanks!
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Neill,
      Thanks for the info. I'm not even sure where to look for this stuff down here as there aren't a lot (any?) wood stove dealers locally. But, I need to make a better sealing door, so something to keep a eye out for.

SJ (XJ?)
      Now ya'll are confusing me... what the heck is waterglass? (besides the thing that I usually put wine in).
      Craig
      Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

It probably has a few good uses for the WFO world

I previously posted something about crack filling too!

Sodium silicate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(confusion is good....keeps them brain cells stimulated)

Comment

Craig,
          if you can't find anything over your way, email me and I will have some sent to you. It is available in numerous sizes ranging from I think from memory, 6, 10, 12, 15, 18 and 25mm diameter. (Really trying the old grey matter out now)!

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Neil, that looks really good - great idea. Props for pitching in to complete Hendo's oven!

Craig, I bought some of that fibreglass rope at my local Home Depot, if that helps (used it in some areas between the steel vent and the brickwork).

Sarah

Comment

Jim, Sarah and Neill

Thanks for the info. Sarah, I'll have to look in the Home Depot next time I'm in there. Not my fav home place cause the local ones always seems so disorganized. Half the time I end up leaving for Lowes.

JIm, Still confused... this basially a glue I can pick up easily anywhere?
              Paradise is where you make it.

Comment

Craig,
                If you use a larger diameter rope, eg 18mm as I do, it fits lovelly and will stay put in a 10mm wide by 10mm deep channel. No glue required at all.
                Ordinary or hight temp silicon could be used as that will withstand temps up well in excess of our ovens if needed. The pertol engined remote model car racers use it in a tube form for their exhaust pipes out here and they get to almost 800˚C

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Originally posted by cvdukes View Post
                  Jim, Sarah and Neill

Thanks for the info. Sarah, I'll have to look in the Home Depot next time I'm in there. Not my fav home place cause the local ones always seems so disorganized. Half the time I end up leaving for Lowes.

JIm, Still confused... this basially a glue I can pick up easily anywhere?
                  Neill has a point that if you make it a little bigger, friction will hold it in place. I used water glass once for a similar application. It's a clear liquid basically water and silica. Sets up like glass. fireproof. so it would add to the seal and act as a glue. don't remember where I got it (years ago) probably at the woodstove shop or hardware. Worked fine to hold the rope to a cast iron door for the woodstove.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...hing-3670.html

Comment

What about loose fiberglass fibers getting into the breads? I am concerned that seal will fray. I tried it as a seal on a wood inner door and it frayed when it rubbed against the masonry each time I placed the door or removed the door. So I switched to a better fitting steel door.
                    B-

Comment

It certainly wouldn't be classed as "food safe" but neither is timber. I use millboard BIO as an insulating panel as the material is safe.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

BurntFingers
                        I have dad this material on the oven since it's build and no sign of fraying or wearing to release fibres. I even have the same rope seal on a 30 year old slow combustion heater and although it is compressed through use, it is still very much 'in tact'.

Wikipedia define it as:
                        Fiberglass, (also called fibreglass and glass fibre), is material made from extremely fine fibers of glass.
                        Glass fiber is formed when thin strands of silica-based or other formulation glass is extruded into many fibers with small diameters suitable for textile processing.
                        The basis of textile-grade glass fibers is silica, SiO2. In its pure form it exists as a polymer, (SiO2)n. It has no true melting point but softens at 2,000 ?C (3,630 ?F), where it starts to degrade.

If you are going to get that concerned over the possibility of a few fibres of a relatively inert material, then we need to wrap ourselves up in a plastic bubble and watch the world go by. There are far worse airborne materials let alone radiation that does affect our well being.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

The Sodium Silicate Wikipedia article referenced by SpringJim mentions, under "Refractory use", mixing it with vermiculite or perlite to form a hard, high temperature insulation board.
                          Has anyone tried this in lieu of a vermiculite/Portland cement mixture? If so what were the ratios used? How was the mixture cured? Is there any information relating the thickness of the mixture to the reduction in temperature from on side of the mixture to the other side?
                          Fred Di Napoli

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                            BurntFingers
                            If you are going to get that concerned over the possibility of a few fibres of a relatively inert material, then we need to wrap ourselves up in a plastic bubble and watch the world go by. There are far worse airborne materials let alone radiation that does affect our well being.

Neill
                            Neill,

I used the material on a heavy wood inner door and it frayed poorly leaving me concerned as to it's safety.

I would stay away from plastic bubbles as they most certainly outgas PVC's.

Bill aka Burntfingers

Comment

Originally posted by fdn1 View Post
                              The Sodium Silicate Wikipedia article referenced by SpringJim mentions, under "Refractory use", mixing it with vermiculite or perlite to form a hard, high temperature insulation board.
                              Has anyone tried this in lieu of a vermiculite/Portland cement mixture? If so what were the ratios used? How was the mixture cured? Is there any information relating the thickness of the mixture to the reduction in temperature from on side of the mixture to the other side?
                              I too are interested in the proportions to make a hard, high temperature insulation board. I want to pour it into the hollow of my oven inner door.
                              Bill aka Burntfingers

Comment

Working...
                              X