Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!

Sarah,
    just got a pic from my eldest daughter Alicia, (12 minutes older than her twin sister). She is the one sitting on the left of the group on the front bookleaf wall, with her 10 month old daughter Belle.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi all,
      here are the pic tures of the 'humpies' cast in reinforced concrete and tiled with Kanmantoo stone (a nearby stone quarry some 80km away) in a bookleaf style or pattern.
      There are 25 in total, on both sides of the road, lit by computer controlled light and costing megga bucks.
      Pitty they didn't cast them in refractory mortar so that they could be used as a WFO, 25 in close proximity for one hell of a cook-up eh!!!
      They are about 6' high and 5' in diameter.
      They had to make them sealed as the local indiginous (aboriginal people) would use them as a residence.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Humpie close-up.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	865.6 KB
ID:	270981

Name:	Humpie 2.JPG
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	270982

Name:	Humpie sign cropped.jpg
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	270983

Neill
      Last edited by nissanneill; 10-14-2009, 06:05 AM.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

That's a lovely photo of your daughter & granddaughter. The humpies are rather impressive too but, I agree, too bad they are purely for show and not useful somehow. Is that what a traditional aboriginal home looks/looked like?! Perhaps that photo should have its own thread here on the forum - I'm not sure the same volume of people will ever find it here ... thanks for taking the time to show me what they are though. It reinforces that Australia's a place I'd really like to visit some day!

Sarah

Comment

Started on the stonework today!

Nothing's mortared in yet because I got off to a late start (other errands got in the way ) - just worked at stone placement for the top of the stand.

The plan is to mortar them in place tomorrow, then maybe start on covering the dome ...

Comment

This is going to look so cool!!! Are you going to do the sides of the stand as well, or will they be different?
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thanks Frances - the plan is to stucco the stand walls for now, just to make it look a bit better and provide some weather protection. Once the dome and chimney are done and the stand is stucco'd, we'll take a good hard look and see if there's something better where the stand is concerned. If there is though we likely won't get to it until next year. I have stuff I want to plant, a cabin to build and a kitchen to remodel! Besides, I want to find time to cook in the oven too - sourdough! - so far, all I've managed to do with Jim's starter is keep it fed and alive ...

Hey, there's a song in there -

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, fed & alive, fed and alive,
              Uh, uh, uh, uh, fed & a-li-i-i-iiiiiive ....."

Comment

Here's today's effort - looks almost the same as yesterday, however, the stones are now mortared in place. Wow, that's a job, since they're not all the same thickness, like bricks - not as easy to get them level but we didn't do too badly. Heck, the stone surfaces aren't even level!
                They'll look better once the surface is cleaned up with a cloth or sponge but I wasn't sure if it was perhaps too soon to do that so it'll wait till tomorrow.
                The stuff at the base of the chimney is all just play - nothing has been set permanently yet. Still undecided whether round or square.

Comment

Yes,
                  you will have to be careful where you rest your full glass of wine or champagne on that stone bench area.Every little job done gets it closer to being complete but you can still use it unfinished. That is why I prefer tiles rather than stone, a flatter surface, no need to seal it and smaller joints to keep clean. A much friendlier surface, but maybe not the same character. (But I am a little more practical than aesthetically orientated).
                  I think that, to save money for the kitchen, time and effort, I will simply stucco my dome to make it inconspicuous within the garden. I now have the plans for the patio steel work specifications so will push them through council and then start construction asap. Then onto the kitchen. Currently looking for an appropriate sink and ideas for the cupboards/storage on top of the retaining wall where the rusted tank is currently and directly behind the preparation bench.
                  What do they say, no rest for the wicked!

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Just worked out what tune goes with your song... duh, just call me slow! Nice one - and now I'll probably be humming it all day

Stucco for the sides sounds like a good idea, I think that will show off the lovely stone top to good advantage. I love that uneven look! As for a square or round chimney... hmmm, difficult. I wouldn't know which to choose either. Maybe square would go better with the lintel?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

HTML Code:
                      ... you will have to be careful where you rest your full glass of wine  ...
                      The photo below should alleviate any concerns about my ability to park my wineglass close at hand!

The fire - first since the vermiculcrete coating - is the extent of progress this week. As for the weekend, it's rain tomorrow, which means the dreaded housework . Sunday ... what to do ... work on the oven? or go to the lake?

Comment

Oops! Here are the wineglass photos, and one of the beginnings of my future herb garden - I liked the blurry oven background against the herbs, which I am hoping to use in many wonderful WFO dinners this summer!

Comment

HELP!! I'm stalled out because we need to decide on how to finish the chimney before we go any further.

The tentative plan is to build a box out of cement board with the help of some steel corner brackets, pop it into place over the masonry flue, mortar it into place and fill any gaps, fill the air space with loose vermiculite, then cover it ... with something, maybe a stacked stone effect, maybe just stucco, maybe mosaic ... dunno yet. And cap it, of course.

So, does anyone see any problem with this plan??
                          If so, speak soon!

It's the cement board box part I'm really asking about though comments on the rest are welcome too.

Thanks,
                          Sarah

Comment

It's a really hot area, and I don't think the wonderboard will hold up to that heat. I did mine out of chunks of refractory flue tile, others have built brick ones, or cast them out of refractory material. I think even plain cast concrete would do better than the half inch of concrete board.
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

HTML Code:
                              I don't think the wonderboard will hold up to that heat.
                              Not even with the vermiculite between it and the chimney pipe?

Comment

Do I misunderstand? Do you plan to have half inch wonderboard directly exposed to the hot flue gasses? It's engineered as a tile backer board: heat exposure is not what it's designed for. I'm afraid that it's going to crack and spall.
                                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X