Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ottawa Oven - Onward Once More!

I?m sure I?ve broken a bunch of masonry rules over the past few days but here?s the latest ?

The inside of the chimney is full of vermicrete - hopefully enough to prevent cracking of the stonework , as doing this once will be plenty for me!

Up to now, I had thought the brick part of the dome was the tough part but trying to find just the right bits of stone to fit into various spaces and look good too is a real job. At least it?s moving along though, and I think we?ve reached a point where we should be able to complete the exterior of the dome and chimney fairly quickly ? if it doesn?t keep raining (it?s been wetter than normal around here for months).

The cast iron bird on the right side of the mantle may find his final perch on top of the chimney once it?s done. Harder to see, on the left, is the turtle. Both are symbolic: the turtle, because it really does look sort of like one, as Neill suggested (easier than wiring it to look like a lighthouse, as suggested by Jim ?maybe for the next one, at the lake though!) and because I feel like I?m moving about as fast as one in getting this thing done. I guess my oven can now officially be known as ? the TurtleDome!
    As for the bird, once the dome is waterproof and I don?t need to keep wrapping it up, that?s when we can really take off and cook in this thing, soaring to new culinary heights, so to speak ? or so we hope!

As for the basketball, its final resting place will be well away from the oven.

My target date for finishing the dome is Friday - after that, I?m on holidays for two weeks. Once I'm back, I'll need to see about cleaning up the stone. Right now, it has a whitish haze all over it which I tried to clean as I went along but it didn't seem to matter what I tried!

Comment

Looks like a fine oven to me. In regard to cleaning - I'm a HUGE proponent of muriatic acid. Start with a 25% solution - go up from there. It does miracles.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

OK Les, I now have a bottle of muriatic acid - do you just slosh it on?
        Then do you let it sit or rub & scrub?? I'm assuming I only use it on parts where the mortar is already well cured but I'm worried about what it will do to the mortar - I really only want to clean the stone bits.This stuff kind of scares me!

Comment

I just realized - I didn't indicate it in my last post but I know ... I need to dilute it first!

Comment

Sarah
            I can totally agree with getting the mess gone. Though I read about projects that go on and on after you live with it for a while its kinda hard to take. It's not that I'm a neat freak I'm just tired of the construction zone.

I'm about where you are. I've started the curing process. The second small fire is going as we speak. Its a little slow as I don't want to ignite the still-intact forms.

I still have to Finnish berming the earth
            Berryst
            sigpic

Comment

Sarah, it is nasty stuff so dress appropriately. Always add the acid to water. Some recommend a 10/1 solution. I found that a waste of time and went the stronger route. Use some really good house cleaning gloves and a sponge. Soak the sponge and just start wiping the area you want clean ? the mortar will simply dissolve. You may want some water in the area so you can do a quick neutralize if needed. One more thing ? AVOID breathing the gasses that it will emit.

It's really not that bad and well worth the look when it's done.

Les...

Comment

Wow that muriatic acid works wonders - thanks Les!

I very cautiously tried some out tonight on some of the decking stones that have been set for a while, scrubbing with a toothbrush so I wouldn't get any in the mortar joints since I'm not sure if that would be a bad thing, then wiping several times with a wet cloth.

You can see the difference in the photo below - both of the dark stones looked like the top middle one before getting 'the treatment'. (As you can see too, I was dodging raindrops; that meant no new stonework tonight. )

The problem, however, is this - to finish the job, am I going to have to scrub my entire oven with a toothbrush??!!

Comment

Looks like night and day, good job. Use a sponge. If it does get to an area you don't want - hit it with water. It may compromise your joints a little, but not as much as you think. And in the end of the day - I am scraping 1/4 to 3/8 inch out of my joints for the "rake look". You are good to go!

Les...

Comment

More progress today - I'm almost finished with the chimney, just one more very small bit to do there. As for the dome, if all goes well, it'll be done tomorrow! Then what's left is to clean the brick, cap the chimney and do something to finish the base. I think I may just stucco the base for now to make it waterproof and apply some stone at a later point. Oh yeah, and doors for the wood storage, at least for the side opening. Still, I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel ...

... except for one thing ... I keep looking at the surrounding area and thinking enhancements are now needed to do justice to the oven - a flagstone patio, a stone 'outdoor kitchen' counter, a water feature, plants, new fence ... and so it goes, I guess - that tunnel light is fading ...

Comment

It looks great!

That's what I should have done was finish the oven totally before going on to the patio, lighting, plumbing...

I really like the stone on the oven and chimney, too.

Must feel good that i'ts now at a point where you can show it off and enjoy it.

Christo
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

The dome is done!

Well, almost - there are still some finishing touches, like cleaning the stone (you can see where I started, on the chimney) and putting some kind of finish on the firebrick ends. I also need to mortar the chimney cap support stones and centre the cap. Then there's stucco (sooner) & stone (later) for the base.

It feels good though to finally have all the dome stones in place - I was SOOO ready to be done with this phase!

Lit a small fire tonight to see how it draws now that there's an extra foot of pipe and a new cap - works just fine and no more smoke in the eyes.

Tomorrow, it's off to the lake for a couple of days. When I come back I plan to do some cooking!

Comment

Oooh, I love how you did the chimney cap. I'm going to remember that.
                          Nikki

Comment

It looks wonderful, Sarah. The way you did the cap is terrific.

Was it terribly tedious to do the stone on the dome? I'm leaning toward colored stucco with maybe bands of tile or stone on mine. I still haven't had the final "aha" moment in my head about that...
                            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments. I?m really pleased with the cap ? I think it suits the style of the oven. Where the style is concerned, I wanted something that didn?t look too ?new?, sort of like it could have been there forever, which is why I went with the stone.

To answer the question about whether it was tedious to stone the dome - I suppose I could have spent a whole lot more time and/or money looking for just the perfect natural, rounder-shaped stones but these fell into my lap from a neighbour?s project and, all in all, I?m quite pleased. There are a few things it might help others considering natural stone to know though ? I did want flat stones so the overall profile wouldn?t end up looking too knobbly but if I?d had more patience and better masonry skills, I might have softened the edges for a less angular look to the stones. The actual laying of the stones was much easier in some regards than doing the bricks for the dome but trying to fit random-sized pieces together well, without having an endless supply to pick from, and without having the ability to hand-shape them to my satisfaction, was a challenge in spots. I wanted a softer natural edge to them but often they would just break in clean lines. Thickness varied too, anywhere from an inch-and-a-half to less than a half-inch ? not a big deal, just another thing to contend with. Then there was the fact that there are two of us involved in this project - my husband, whose approach was ?Just slap ?em on and get it done!?, and me, with a tendency to agonize over the placement of every stone, according to it?s shape colour, thickness. It would likely be best ideally to have just one person?s vision and style applied to this part of the job. (Mine! )

Whew, that was lengthy and probably sounds pretty negative though I don?t mean it to be. I?m glad we went with the stone and really pleased with its rustic appeal. It?s a strong look that is just begging to be the backdrop for some finishing touches, like a big basket of red geraniums (good luck to me in finding such a thing around here at the end of July!) or some iron pieces like the one in the photo below. The stonework was, for me, the mountain to be conquered. Now, I?m really enthusiastic again about finishing it up and am already planning an additional wing on the right side ? worktop, storage and camp-style Dutch oven trough, so I can cook in it (using charcoal briquets) and do other things in the WFO at the same time!

Comment

Sarah, Your chimney rocks!
                                Ken H. - Kentucky
                                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Working...
                                X