Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf
    replied
    My above advice applies to all portland based masonry applications in cold weather.

Leave a comment:

• watchthenanacrossing
    replied
    With these warmer days coming up, I need to get the arch on and the vermicrete layer casted this week. I won't get to the stucco for two weeks cause I'll be out of state for the holiday. So, most likely the temps will be in the 20s, maybe teens, at night when I return. I'm sure there's another heat source to stick in the oven that I could use.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    It looks like after tonight you have a few days of above freezing weather. Can you get -r-done before the weekend? If so the blanket with a tarp over it will be just fine imo. It doesn't take much heat to keep masonry from freezing. Light freezes with temps warming up to the 40's and 50's won't need any extra heat. The portland in the mix gives off heat of it's own during the curing phase. Temps in the lower twenties with not much warming during the daylight hours may require a small heat lamp placed inside the dome. I would say just a 100 watt incandesent bulb. But, I'm not sure that you can find them any more.

Leave a comment:

• watchthenanacrossing
    replied
    Yea my thought was that I would need to figure out a set up to heat it and keep the heat in, which I don't really have time for. That's why I was wondering if just putting an insulated blanket over it would be enough. I think waiting til spring will be best.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    I have never adhered to a "48 degree F" like you mention. However, you will have to keep it from freezing. Tenting amd temporary heating will probably be your only option.

Leave a comment:

• watchthenanacrossing
    started a topic Applying Stucco in Colder Temps

Applying Stucco in Colder Temps

Hi y'all,

I didn't see any other threads with this question, so I'll go ahead and post it. I'm working on finishing my homebrew cast oven, and cold temperatures are starting to settle in here. I would've had this finished earlier in nicer weather, but I messed up my first build and had to start over.

Does anyone know what temperatures to stay above for applying and curing stucco? I'm not sure whether I can go ahead and apply it for winter, or if it's best to wait until spring. The research I've found says that it should be applied and cured in temps above 40 degrees F which would leave me waiting until spring. If applied, would an insulation blanket be suffice for curing while temps drop into the 20s?

Thanks!
Working...
X