Glass door for the view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Glass door for the view

I keep meaning to post the plans for the insulated door (my second favorite project) - - perhaps this weekend. If you find you can only get the thermal tape in lengths far exceeding your needs, I still have some left and would be happy to send to you if you will pay the freight across the pond.

Jim

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    thanks Jim
    I did follow up and even got a quote from onedayglass ($108 without shipping costs).
    It is available in the Uk and what appears to be a very similar product to neoceram called Robax I can get from local glaziers:

It seems very similar as I say but I got a quote of 120Eur ($158) to cut my semicircle.
    Not sure I have the engineering skill to make that door anyway so I will leave it till later and meanwhile I will maybe try to copy your wooden door ( I found on some other thread) instead. I am looking for that glass fibre tape. One or other of these should do the trick I guess
    High Temperature Tape: Heat & Flame Resistant & Thermal Insulation Tape for Wire Cable Hose Protection

Comment

Originally posted by jcg31 View Post
      I keep meaning to post the plans for the insulated door (my second favorite project) - - perhaps this weekend. If you find you can only get the thermal tape in lengths far exceeding your needs, I still have some left and would be happy to send to you if you will pay the freight across the pond.

Jim
      look forward to see those plans. I have a bit to do before I get to needing a door - still have to finish the oven - but I am on the lookout for good ideas and your IT (which I modelled mine on) and doors are up there with the best.
      Hopefully I won't need to take you up on that offer but I do appreciate it and might be back to you. thanks again
      Aidan
      Amac
      Link to my WFO build

Comment

Hi fellow chef extraordinares (?)
        I have cut a new hebel door for my oven and was planning on putting a smallish window say 150 x 100 mm to check on the progress of roasts, breads etc without removing the door and thus letting heat out. My question is, should I double glaze by putting one piece inside and another outside or run with a single piece? Hello from beautiful (chilly) Tasmania.
        Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff
          Can't help you with any answers but I had a similar idea - instead of shaping the glass to fit the entire door as jim has - to put a rectangular window in some kind of wooden frame. I think this ceramic glass can be cut like normal glass, so maybe by raiding the local recycling centre an old electric oven door could supply the glass and I could do it myself.
          I would do the double glaze - but I am not sure what the implications are. You have to keep the panes not more than x mm apart to allow for maximum insulation, and also how do you seal them, or would you get a local glazier to do that part.

Do you think that would allow enough light to see or do you have some internal light fitted?
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

I think someone mentioned earlier that ceramic glass can't be cut like ordinary glass. But that's just my recollection so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
              I think someone mentioned earlier that ceramic glass can't be cut like ordinary glass. But that's just my recollection so take it with a grain of salt.
              I had thought that from some post or other, and that a water jet cutter was needed, but it seems that is not true according to this:

Neoceram - Heat-resistant glass ceramic for high efficiency heating appliances

one of the features of neoceram which jim used:

Can be cut with regular glass cutters for immediate customer service
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Ok. Well that makes it much easier then.

Comment

Hi Amac and Laku,
                  Still investigating different options, but thanks for your interest. I have no internal light fitted and the beauty of hebel is that I can check the opening first for size before cutting/ sourcing the glass. Had a fire up last night; list included several pizzas, two dessert pizzas, one beer can chicken, one loaf of bread and plenty of heat in the oven this morning to warm up a quiche for lunch today. Life is tough aint it!

Comment

Beautiful Door Saved it so Hubby can see it, maybe a early birthday/christmas present.
                    Cheers,
                    Rosemary

My build so far
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ish-19084.html

Starting out collecting info and materials
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...lia-18943.html

Comment

A glass door would be nice so you can see into the oven, but unless it is double glazed, will not insulate particularly well for long roasting and baking. This is why all commercial ovens have double glazed doors.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                      X