Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Counter Top surface for pizza prep.

I use a heavy duty aluminum baking sheet I bought at a restruant supply store. They have large commercial ones which are very sturdy and fairly in expensive. I paid seven dollars for the half size.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam
      a piece 3' x 2' x 3/4'' only wieghs 64lb (28 kg.)

Good - you just volunteered to come over and carry it....

500!!! Woo Hoo!!!
      Last edited by Archena; 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

no thanks, i've spent the past 40 years of my life carrying the dam stuff, i am trying to take life a little easier now and let my son do most of the carrying

Comment

I did my counter tops and pizza prep areas in polished concrete. I finished them just a couple of months ago and have not had a chance to work dough on my intended surface. Looking back at all the work involved, I would recommend going granite, somewhere around a meter/yard squared for a working surface.

I suspect that the small porosity that remains in my polished concrete will catch flour (bugs, bacteria, boogers etc.) over time. 800 degrees will take care of of the bad bugs, but the like blowing under a pizza to loosen it from a peel, the suggestion of unsanitary conditions (whether accurate or not) might be a detriment to a healthy appetite of some unknowing guest.

I do like my counters, but a few hundred bucks spent on granite might have made life a lot easier.
          G.
          Last edited by gjbingham; 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

A 10:1 water/bleach mix will sterilize the surface. As the surface degrades you'll have trouble working the dough - it'll stick like crazy. Still, it might not be as bad as I'm thinking - try it and see (seeing as ou already built the countertop...).
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

I am a big fan of granite. I'm looking for a nice blue....

Comment

I hope you have deep pockets, any blue is expensive, however there are quite a few available most of the nice ones are from brazil, but you should be able to get them locally

Comment

That figures... Well I could live with green or gold, or is it the same situation with those colors? The Oven itself will be faced with browish /tan tenn. flagstone.

Comment

no these are much cheaper. sounds like the one you should look at would be "baltic brown " it has browns,creams and black circular fossils.
                    bear in mind i am in the uk but this material is popular everywhere i have been so should be easy to source

Comment

Our last kitchen we went with the new quartz product and are very happy with it...can't really tell the difference from granite...

I think it would come in blue.

Vaughn says she would never put granite down again!
                      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

but the like blowing under a pizza to loosen it from a peel, the suggestion of unsanitary conditions (whether accurate or not) might be a detriment to a healthy appetite of some unknowing guest.

Aaah... That would be ME. The very reason I won't eat Birthday Cake.

Would you care for some spit ca... I mean birthday cake?

Make a wish my A$$, you spittle spewing, loose lipped, germ factory.
                        Last edited by PizzaPolice; 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
                          Our last kitchen we went with the new quartz product and are very happy with it...can't really tell the difference from granite...

I think it would come in blue.

Vaughn says she would never put granite down again!
                          You mean this stuff? Pretty cool - and it does come in blue.

[/CENTER]

Comment

How does the honed bluestone work? My backyard is all bluestone, and i wanted to use blustone for the countertop, my granite guy said it would soak up all oils from pizza. just wondering if honed helps any. JOE

Comment

I have a 24 x 24 in x 2 inch thick piece of laminated wood from a scrap yard. I keep it inside unless I am making pizzas. I flour the board good and go for it. If there are any germs on it I figure they will burn in the oven. For my other ingredients I have an aluminum patio bar. Its a great height with several shelves. Anyway, thats what I have. My back yard and oven have a more rustic feel so it fits right in.

Comment

I have an ordinary bluestone step as the landing of my oven, and with it out in the elements, any food staining either isn't noticeable or it goes away. I'm not sure it would be a good pizzamaking surface, I would think you would want something smoother to get a peel under the dough. White marble is the traditional material for the work surface.
                                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                                X