Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chimney Primer

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    I'm confused. Why would you use a stainless liner inside a clay liner? What goes on the outside?
    After thinking about it more, I guess that i only need the pipe on the top of the clay liner terminating with the spark arrestor.

Can the oven handle the weight of the liner, or will I have to fabricate some kind of additional support? Thanks

Comment

Hi Marco,

Welcome to the forum! I notice you're in Cinci. I'm right down the street in Louisville .

If you go with a product like Duravent (what I used) you only need 2" of clearance to combustibles. You should be able to put that right up through your pergola with no problem (or maybe rework the pergola slightly to give the pipe 2" clearance). No need for the chimney tile.

The DuraVent system is not cheap, but it does a heck of a job. When my fire is roaring, my pipe is slightly warm to the touch. I can keep my hand on it indefinitely so it's not going to burn anything.

You can mount the DuraVent directly to your oven vent. No clay liner necessary.
      DuraVent UL103HT Chimney System

If your oven will have a roof, you can add bracing in the roof to help stabilize/support the pipe.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Can the oven handle the weight of the liner, or will I have to fabricate some kind of additional support? Thanks
        Yes, your oven opening will support any reasonable length of clay flue liner, and of course the lighter stainless systems. I have a two story chimney, with maybe 10 lengths of 8" square clay flue tile resting on my dome/entry without problems. The external masonry chimney is supported separately.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Not to change the subject or anything...But why do you feel the need for a chimney at all? I've been using my Pompeii oven 3 years & my Premio 120 for 2 months and I'm not liking the whole chimney idea.

Comment

Please clarify. Do you not have a chimney or vent system on your Premio? I guess I don't see why you wouldn't want a chimney. I have little experience with the alternative, but it seems hot smoke pouring out the front of the oven is undesirable.
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

I tried to attach pictures of both ovens, it didn't work for whatever reason. My pompeii oven has no chimney. It's outside so no chimney required to draw away gasses. The floor ht. is 48" so I don't bend over the opening. Any air leaving the oven is very hot and ascends immediately. I've never had sparks escape. It is easier to light, I don't have to build the fire as far forward. I'm closer to the pizzas so they're easier to handle. The Premio 120 is built onto a wooden wagon for use at renaissance fairs. This oven has the arch & chimney. I'm going to have to re-build my tool handles from 5' to 6 1/2' in order to avoid roasting my left hand. Don't get me wrong, I love my Premio. I just want to be closer to the action & on a wood wagon, I could REALLY do without the extra weight.

Comment

This may not pertain but i do have some experience with aerodynamics and flow. Square straightens removes turbulence and improves flow rate

Comment

Holy Cow that DuraVent is expensive isn't it.. especially if you need 4+ feet of it to go through a pergola which I also have to do. 2 more questions. First, did you guys go with 6" or 8" pipe? Second, any reason not to do a clay liner, if it's cheaper, for the first few feet and then switch to DuraVent?
                  Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

There's no reason not to build the entire chimney in the traditional manner, with the flue tile interior, a masonry exterior, and a chimney cap to keep them aligned. I see no reason to mix the two styles. The stainless flue systems are for people with more money that time, not that there's anything wrong with that.

An eight inch square flue tile is big enough for any domestic oven.

Comment

Any idea if they make a tile spark arrestor cap? I really like those clay caps but I should probably get a cap with a spark arrestor to be safe. My WFO will be right next to a large wooden deck and the chimney will run either through a pergola or be right next to it.
                      Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

Absolutely, they're right on the shelf at home depot. They clamp to the corners of the flue tile. Look around your neighborhood, you'll see half a dozen on peoples chimneys (the keep birds and squirrels out)

That said, I have yet to put one on mine. I should: some soot washes down in rain and makes my landing unsightly.

Comment

Heh, I'm in a suburb of MN and it's all metal pipes and caps around here. Some of the local farms might be a different story. I'll have to look closer at my box store for clay parts, figured I'd have to go to a special store for those.
                          Shay - Centerville, MN

Comment

I'll have to look closer at my box store for clay parts
                            No, you'll need to go to a brickyard for the flue tiles, but they sell the caps at home depot. they are more of a mass market item because the old ones rust out.

Comment

What about an indoor fireplace with openings on all 4 sides. I've seen some but don't undertand how they insure that they draw correctly. Anyone have any experience on these?
                              Oklahoma is OK
                              Broken Bow Lake Cabin Rental

Comment

I am still wondering about the arch/support flue weight issues.

I had an issue with my front arch ( which will support half the weight of my flue -- a 2' section 8.5x13" ) but I am buttressing it with bricks on either side!

I think I am going to just try a mortar/firebrick transisition ( I am pretty sure smoke will not be so laminar it will need a smooth smooth surface) and, though rounded edges would certainly help ( in theory) I am betting that the smokes gonna go up at the first opportunity ( my flue) any way it can.

L.
                                This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Working...
                                X