Door materials to avoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Door materials to avoid?

quite a number of folk have tried calcium silicate board as a door insulator. On investigating this stuff it seems that there are quite a few differences re safety. I settled on stuff called Millboard 750 BIO. On the toxicological info it states that "the fibre is exonerated from classification 3 according the EU Commission Directive 97/69/BC" I was also concerned about the safety of fibre blanket. Some are safe others not. Insulfrax is ok and also passes the stringent EU rules. Anyhow I insulated my hardwood 20mm door with 12mm of millboard attached with 4 3/16" ss bolts and it works really well. It can be used one handed which is a bonus when you have a pizza peel in the other hand. It weighs 2 Kgs (4Lbs)
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I don't know, I figure we're building a 2000yr old piece of technology and the best thing to do is stick with whatever they had back then. I just finished my dome and am planning on building an oak door using steel screws. (OK, they didn't have steel back then, still...) When it charrs too much, I'll build another. I won't have to worry about fumes, funny smells and chemicals that may leach off or out of some paint that a big corporation assures me is perfectly safe. This, even though I know big corporations never lie.

Comment

If the screws face the inside of the oven, then use brass not galvanized steel. The zinc is toxic. I found that my brass screws got so hot that the heat transferred through them and charred the wood around the threads, rendering their holding capacity to zilch. Better if you can screw from the outside.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks, David, I plan to screw from the outside and I was planning to use stainless screws. Brass might look better though.

Comment

Working...
          X