Chimney Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Type

Is a metal or clay chimney flu preferable??

Re: Chimney Type

Please see my response under your chimney cost question. It greatly depends on what you have in mind. Not to mention how much money you have to allocate to a chimney

Travis
    TravisNTexas

Comment

I have some reality on this question.

I started with a terra cotta chimney liner for my chimney pipe. It seemed to work good, but the oven smoked out the front arch - expecially during start up. Like the draw wasn't adaquate. I used the oven this way for many months.

When I decided to put a roof over my project, I had to remove the clay pipe and install a dual wall metal pipe. My oven hasn't smoked out the front since. Not even at start up. The draw is so good that it just sucks the smoke up the chimney as if there was an exaust fan in there.

Now it could be that the oven is cured better now than it was when the clay pipe was up there, but I don't think that is it. The fires still smoke, but now ALL the smoke goes up the chimney.

dusty

Comment

This is interesting, Dusty. What was the size of the terra cotta vs. the stainless steel liner? Similar?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

I have no basis for comparison, but I'll throw in my experience anyway.

I have the 8" Duratech chimney pipe from Forno Bravo. I have very minimal smoke out the front and only while starting when there is a breeze towards the oven door. After dozens of fires, still no smoke stains on the front.

It's a pricey solution, but I'm very happy with the results.
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
            This is interesting, Dusty. What was the size of the terra cotta vs. the stainless steel liner? Similar?
            Similar.

The terra cotta pipe had an 8" OD. So probably about 6 1/2" ID. The dura-vent pipe has an 8" ID.

But what Ken said struck a thought. It DID used to smoke more when there was a breeze. Now that there is a roof over it, it almost surely gets less of a breeze and probably WAY less.

I did use the oven a few times after the steel chimney was installed but before the roof was put on. I remember no smoke then but I don't remember if it was windy or not - but I think not.

I may have just shot a hole in my own theory, but I still think, that for whatever reason, the dura-vent double wall chimney pipe draws better.

Wife says "very much better". And that's a direct quote BTW.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by amber View Post
              Is a metal or clay chimney flu preferable??
              I decided on the clay simply because it was a total cost of $26.00 and is used every day and has been for a very long time. I love the SS Duravent system but just couldn't fork out the $$ for a smoke tube. If you follow the procedures leaving the proper air space between the clay pipes and the chimney exterior you will not have any issues (in theory).

I hope mine draws ok, I can't see why it wouldn't but as I have read, they're all different and every oven has a mind of it's own.

Good luck Amber,
              Bill,

Check out my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/b...egin-5443.html

Comment

thanks, we ended up deciding on a terra cotta chimney flue that we'll cover with pavers. The pavers are already at the house from a brick walk and the 4.5"x8.5" rectangular flue was $12. We're hopeful it will look very nice

Comment

Working...
                X