Chimney Size and Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chimney Size and Design

Thanks for your kind comment. We like the arches and how the oven fits into the design. Best, Lloyd

Comment

I'm about to cast a vent similar to Lloyd's pictured above and I have a couple of questions:

Can I place a rebar across the length of the lip of the vent for reinforcement as my vent will only be supported at the two ends and will span across with no other support underneath? Will the rebar expand at the same rate as the castable refractory?

The roof of the vent will be cast around a 7" diameter 22 gauge stove pipe. Will the pipe expand enough in diameter to crack the vent? Should I leave a little wiggle room?

Thanks...George
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I don't think rebar is used in refractory castable. Stainless needles are the reinforcement of choice.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
          I don't think rebar is used in refractory castable. Stainless needles are the reinforcement of choice.
          I kinda figured that as I have not seen rebars used in any of the cast oven builds.
          Are stainless needles commonly available? I've seen them on Ebay before.

George
          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

George,
            If you cast directly against the flue pipe it will get hot first and expand and perhaps cause the castable to crack. This happened to the second oven I built. You can wrap some cardboard around the pipe when you cast it, remove the cardboard and pipe, then reinsert the pipe and fill around it with vermicrete. It is better for the flue to bea slightly loose fit to reduce stress on your casting.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David, that's exactly what I imagined could happen. I will give it some wiggle room for expansion.

George
              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                Stainless needles are the reinforcement of choice.
                I can't seem to find stainless needles locally.....but I have plenty of stainless steel staples for the standard office stapler. Perhaps I can unload a few hundred of those instead.

George
                George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

That is a really good idea, but you will need around 2% by weight. Thatis a lot of staples. Hope you've got a good office budget.

Comment

Hi. New here. Love the site!

I have a design flaw and am trying to resolve a smoke issue (comes out the front).

I have a rectangle burning/cooking surface approx. 100cm x 70cm. The chimney is obviously too small. Any suggestions on chimney size? From what I'm reading, I'm guessing either 6" or 8" would be sufficient. I need to cut my way in to expand the size.

thanks.
                    - dj

Comment

DJ,
                      Post some pics. It might not be just the flue size. Is your door height correct relative to the interioe height? You also need some volume below the flue pipe so the smoke funnels up. Also if your oven is new it will smoke a fair bit because it is still moist and does not fire efficiently. If this is so then maybe you just need to fire it lots and your problem may disappear.
                      Dave

Comment

DJ,
                        It can also be the wood you are burning. I used some (untreated) softwood offcuts that smoked like crazy, even in a top-down fire. Despite my 6" (6' tall) flue drawing very well, that smoke came pouring out the front. As the oven has dried right up and I'm using decent hardwood and stacking a good top-lit fire, almost no smoke comes out the front.
                        Cheers,
                        Mick
                        My Clay Oven build:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

MOFO, what is the diameter of your chimney?
                          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            The rule of thumb when building an open fireplace is, flue size should be 10% or more than opening size
                            I don't understand this, The flu should be 10% or more than what? thanks

Comment

10% of the door opening. If your door is 18x18 (324 SqIn), for example, then your flue should be 32.4 SqIn, i.e. 6x6 ID. Fudge on the side of over sized, and realize that that calculation is technically for round flues.
                              Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli Rogosa View Post
                                Does any have thoughts on placing the chimney on the BACK BOTTOM of the oven?
                                Wouldn't this vent the cooler air to maintain more heat in the oven??
                                Eli Rogosa
                                Yes. Don't!

I think if you check postings here in the forum and do some study you will find that it won't work. Go with the tried and proven.

Comment

Working...
                                X