Orange County California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange County California

Anybody know where to find firebricks and all the other materials for a pompeii 36" oven?

Re: Orange County California

I got my firebrick, they had 3 manufacturers firebrick products, and fireclay at Supply Line Building Materials in San Juan Capistrano.
    I used a Harbor Freight 10" brick saw and 3 HF blades and Lowes for concrete and rebar.

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going with Pacific Clay bricks. I'm going to pick up the insulation blanket at Gold coast refractory in Santa Fe Springs.

Comment

hb,
        The firebrick seconds I bought from Pacific Clay are 1/8" shy on one end and thus leave a gap on the long side when butted up against each other (see pic below). Because of this, I decided to lay my floor with a running bond pattern instead of herringbone. The pic below shows that alternating the bricks end to end allows each row to conveniently fill in most of the gaps. Builders here say that wood ash continuously fills these gaps but I will be putting soapstone on top anyway. The irregularities shouldn't be a problem building the dome and entryway.

You may give Harbison-Walker a look for your refractory blanket. They had two thicknesses last time I was there. They are not far from SFS.

ANH Refractories
        7831 Paramount Blvd
        Pico Rivera, CA 90660

FWIW, I observed all kinds of defects in the seconds yard at Pacific Clay and there were hundreds of pallets of all kinds of bricks. I'm much more aware of what to look for now, but when I was in the sales office I overheard the Manager Al tell multiple customers the reason the bricks were there was because the color was 'off'. Let the buyer beware!

Good luck,

John

Comment

Thanks for the pictures of the bricks. I think I'll get the bricks for the floor from sepulveda bulding materials and then get the bricks for the dome from PC. I live in Lake Forest, Do you know any refractory companies closer my way. Gold coast was the closest I could get. How much was your blanket? Gold quoted me 40.00 for a 1" thick 50 square feet blanket.

Comment

My pleasure, hb. I'm just beginning to lay the floor so haven't gotten around to purchasing the upper insulation yet. I have a sister-in-law that lives in Lake Forest (so I'm down there quite a bit) but not aware of any refractory suppliers. There used to be a killer homebrew supply on Trabuco and El Toro but not sure if they're around anymore.

Comment

John you, your brother and HB might consider renting, if you can find one, a 14" over a weekend just to taper bricks.

Just a thought.

Chris

Comment

Funny, Chris, my brother suggested the same thing. Think I'll look into the costs involved.

Comment

If you talking about renting a saw, I just bought one. Havent opened it yet, but your more than welcome to cut some bricks if you need to. On another note I spoke with bob at Gold coast refractory and now the blanket cost 125.00. A salesman before quoted me 40.00. Then he wanted to charge be a huge amount for insulating boards. He also said that using vermiculite and concrete wont work and I'm getting info from the wrong crowd. Seriously I thought he was out of his mind. Anyway I'm going to check with ANH as soon as they open.

Comment

If you have a 14" brick saw you are the envy of many around here, most of us have the Harbor Freight 10" brick saw.

Look at your a private messages.

Chris

Comment

You can stop being envious. I looked and it is the 10" saw. I thought it was the 14" for some reason. On another note, I just back from ANH and picked ups some goods. Daniel is great to work with. I bought the 8lb 1" blanket and picked up a carton of INS 19 insolating boards. It's rated to 1900 degrees F. Do you guys think that should be enough? The 2300 was way more. Also picked up 2 bags of refractory mortor for 30 bucks a piece.

Comment

You'll be fine with the 1900F, remember more under the deck is better. I have 2" and felt for the addl cost that 2.5 would have been nice. As long as you're at 2" or better, you'll be fine.

Chris
                        Last edited by SCChris; 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

hb,

I spoke at length this week with the ANH distribution manager Frank, who confirmed Gold Coast is really a service/repair outfit which really doesn't distribute or stock much in the way of refractory. They buy mostly Pryor-Giggey products and in fact buy from ANH when needed, but either way, have to mark up whatever they sell to make it worthwhile.

You bought the same board I did. It's easy to cut (use a respirator - its nasty stuff to breathe) with a jigsaw and you can make really precise cuts. Below is the plan I used to cut pieces to fit a 53.5" diameter.

Piece Board No Dimen

1 1 1 12 x 36 432
                          2 2 2 12 x 36 432
                          3 3 3 12 x 17 204
                          4 4 4 12 x 36 432
                          5 5 5 12 x 14.5 174
                          6 5 6 12 x 21 164
                          7 5 6a 12 x 8 48
                          8 6 7 12 x 36 432
                          9 6 7a 9.5 x 13.5 83
                          10 7 8 12 x 14.5 174
                          11 3 9 12 x 14.5 174
                          12 7? 10 7 x 7 24.5

area =pi*r2

2246.86=3.14x26.75sq'd

Thanks for the offer of the saw. I got a 10" too (HF10) and so far so good (knock on wood). BTW - I put my Insblock 19 on top of 3" of vermicrete and am glad I did since I've decided to try putting in a soapstone floor. Anything you can add to your floor insulation won't go wasted.

John

Comment

John,

What size oven are you making? I'm going for the 36" pompei oven. If you making the 36" then I'll probably go with your dimensions. On another note, I've been making pizza on my bbq with firebricks. Comes out pretty good. Not so good with the Tipo flour which is why I'm making the oven. I'm about to start boardering my stand for the hearth pour, I figure 4" of concrete with the insblock 19 should do just fine. Did you speak with Daniel at ANH? I worked with him yesterday and he's a real nice guy. Gave me the labor day special he so calls it. He said that califono bravo buys his refractory cement from his also. Also if you need some high gluten flour the store next door sell alot of it, Begato ( I think that's the name of it). Currently I'm using Kyrol Flour which works real good for the ny style pizza. I'm off to restaruant depot to pick up some stansilaus pizza sauce. I'll probably buy others also to test out. I'll give you an update with the sauces.

Comment

hb,

I built my oven stand for a 42" pompeii, but then I changed my mind thinking I'd fire up a 39" more often. The plans are for the original 42".

I bought a case of Caputo Tipo 00 flour from Chef's Warehouse in Industry and had good results with firebricks in the house oven. I changed the hydration from 65 to 60 since my oven only gets to about 550. The pizza came out delicious!

I bought my ANH stuff from the Manager Frank, but Daniel helped me load my Sairbond refractory mortar ($37) into my car. If you can install 3-4" of vermicrete or an additional 1" of Insblock you will have a better-performing oven for sure. A number of builders here put in what you have and wished they'd added more.

What is Califono Bravo? Would love to see a website.

Once my oven gets built I'm gonna experiment with all kinds of flours. Will definitely try out the Begato and Kyrol.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X