Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    In that time period and area, it was almost certainly not portland cement, but natural cement, that is lime.
    I remember the smoke seeping thru the top of the WFO. It is also entirely possible the oven was mortarless with the few bits of cement /mortar on the front of the oven of more recent date.

V12Spirit, I think Stonecutter's statements "I know one thing about building with Basalt from experience....it is a chisel breaking, saw blade wearing, hard lifting stone to work with." are sufficient reasons why one would not work with solid basalt blocks. There are alternatives that are easier to work and perform as well.

Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Hi Wiley,
      That sounds reasonable but Brickie IN OZ did the offending job of cutting the Basalt for the oven base and decoration, but surprisingly built the hot chamber from fire bricks.
      see: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/44/o...o-15241-8.html
      I just want to know anything about the thermal properties of Basalt. There is plenty of it in the territory.
      BTW I have a post regarding BTU please view it and reply. It is a thermodynamics problem, and, you know, you are the candidate to give your opinion.
      Cheers.
      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
      I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
      X