Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fireclay substitute

Hello arosheger,

I don't know of a substitute for fire clay but there is a substitute for home made mortar. Check with a specialty insulation supplier for refractory mortar in bags. These are the guys that supply businesses with insulation products of all descriptions. I used Thermal Ceramics brand Smooth Set mortar. A 50lb bag might set you back $70. They may also stock bags of fire clay. You will need more than one bag for a 36" Pompeii unless you taper your bricks for a thin mortar joint. Most of the mortar gets used up from the huge joints on the outside of the oven. Another source for fire clay and refractory mortar would be one of the brick and masonry suppliers located in Bozeman.

BTW, Home Depot is loathe to special order a single bag or small amount of fire brick if it has to be shipped in. I've been through this on other items from HD. They would likely have to order a pallet of fire clay just to sell one bag. Shipping cost and shelf loss from torn bags make it unprofitable. The special order desk may be able to look up the nearest stocking HD.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Working...
    X