X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recipe from an 1893 book.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Recipe from an 1893 book.
    We went to a book fair today and I picked up an old book on, Cements, Glues & Gums.

Fireproof cement No 2.
    180 parts of iron filings.
    45 parts lime.
    8 parts common salt,
    Vinegar.

Mix all into a paste with the vinegar and let dry thoroughly before heating.
    This cement becomes stone hard on heating.
    Hello everybody
    Because I wanted an oven that heats up very quickly I was planning to construct a steel oven, but it turned to be rather expensive. One thought came to me. If I mix iron filings with Portland cement (I can't find fireproof cement) and lime is not it reasonable that the iron filings will make my homemade brew heat up quickly? (I'll make a mold for the oven and pour the mix in it)
    If yes could any body give me the correct proportions?
    Cheers
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

It may be worth doing some trials, but remember that the iron filings will be subject to rusting even though they're in an alkaline environment heat will accelerate any reaction.. Stainless steel needles are the recommended reinforcing for this reason (and they're not cheap). I would suspect that the kind of proportion of iron filings you'd have to add, will weaken the mix to such an extent that it won't be strong enough. Unfortunately the recipe does not give the quantity of fireproof cement (presumably calcium aluminate cement)
      Last edited by david s; 03-02-2014, 06:45 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        It may be worth doing some trials, but remember that the iron filings will be subject to rusting even though they're in an alkaline environment heat will accelerate any reaction.. Stainless steel needles are the recommended reinforcing for this reason (and they're not cheap). I would suspect that the kind of proportion of iron filings you'd have to add, will weaken the mix to such an extent that it won't be strong enough. Unfortunately the recipe does not give the quantity of fireproof cement (presumably calcium aluminate cement)
        David, I think the "Fireproof Cement No 2" is the substance you make by mixing the iron, lime, salt and vinegar.
        I'm still trying to figure out how it works.
        I do believe, though, that it is meant for temperatures higher than we can achieve in a wood oven.
        i.e. we may not be able to get it hot enough to "set" properly.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
          David, I think the "Fireproof Cement No 2" is the substance you make by mixing the iron, lime, salt and vinegar.
          I do believe, though, that it is meant for temperatures higher than we can achieve in a wood oven.
          Ok, I see what you mean. It may be fun trying it out then
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

wotavidone, I am longing to see the results of your experiment
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

I'm not actually planning to experiment with it. I am trying to take an educated guess at the chemistry, but my education must be a bit lacking.
              In any case, I doubt it'd work out all that cheap.
              The major component is iron filings. I reckon you'd want clean filings, not anything that's been cut with a disk, as that would have a fair level of contamination in it. (The disks are carborundum, but the binder is some substance that melts.)
              I reckon the iron would end up sintered - which won't be all that dense.

If you want to cast an oven with a homebrew, try reading michelevit's "Brickless oven on a shoestring" thread for some insights.

Quick heat up is a function of size, shape, thermal mass, insulation, and firewood quality.

Hint, a small oven may use less wood to heat than a large oven, but it won't necessarily be faster, due to you can't fit as much fire in it.\

Anyway, my personal experience is that the day will come when pizzas just ain't enough, and you'll want to do all the other stuff - roasts, breads, retained heat baking in general.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                Even with wet cutting you should protect your lungs, the sharp silicon oxide that causes all the problems is still present in the water spray, I have a mate who now has silicosis from wet cutting bricks for a living.
                Exactly. I might have to get you to speak to our masons. I tried to tell them the other day that just because they have a wet saw that is no excuse for not wearing any breathing protection.

Comment

I'm not actually planning to experiment with it. I am trying to take an educated guess at the chemistry, but my education must be a bit lacking.
                  In any case, I doubt it'd work out all that cheap.
                  The major component is iron filings. I reckon you'd want clean filings, not anything that's been cut with a disk, as that would have a fair level of contamination in it. (The disks are carborundum, but the binder is some substance that melts.)
                  I reckon the iron would end up sintered - which won't be all that dense.

If you want to cast an oven with a homebrew, try reading michelevit's "Brickless oven on a shoestring" thread for some insights.

Quick heat up is a function of size, shape, thermal mass, insulation, and firewood quality.

Hint, a small oven may use less wood to heat than a large oven, but it won't necessarily be faster, due to you can't fit as much fire in it.\

Anyway, my personal experience is that the day will come when pizzas just ain't enough, and you'll want to do all the other stuff - roasts, breads, retained heat baking in general.
                  Thanks wotavidone for linking me to the thread. I'm reading it. It is so helpful
                  I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
                  X