Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceramic Fiber Blanket Dealer ( good deal ?? )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ceramic Fiber Blanket Dealer ( good deal ?? )

You need three 50-square foot rolls.

The McGill's HF10, which is the two-inch-thick stuff you're seeing at the good price, is only 25 square feet (2 feet wide, 12.5 feet long). It's not enough to completely cover a 42" oven once. With 12.5 linear feet, you'd wrap the lower half of the dome, and the top would still be exposed.

The McGill's HF11 is one inch thick and comes on a 50 square foot roll (2 feet wide, 25 feet long). One 50-foot roll will cover at 42" dome once, so to get 3 inches, you need three rolls. It looks like the HF10 and HF11 are the same price right now.

Comment

Azatty -
      thanks for the response -
      Just to make sure I am clear, I think you are saying 3 x 50 sqft of the 1" to give me 3" of insulation.

and since the 50 sqft at 1" is the same as the 25 sqft at 2", I am better off going with 3 of the former vs. 4 of the latter.

Got it

Also noted that you have ordered from them previously. Was this from their website, or did you pick up? I am a little scared off by their reviews

TIA

Dennis
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

FYI -
        Just to close the loop on this, I went ahead and ordered - figured if there was a problem with delivery, my CC company would keep me whole. Three 24" x 25' x 1" rolls @ $23 each.

The shipping they billed with the order was only $33, but they called me pretty quickly after I placed the order to tell me that was a mistake - and the actually shipping was $60

Even with the change, you are looking at $43 a roll delivered, which is super cheap.

I'll post back here once it arrives...
        My build progress

Comment

All three rolls arrived today. Wow. Two days after ordering
          My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Whoah thats cheap, like 25% of the price I can get it for..... you need to stock up on it.

Their fire bricks are dear though.
            Actually their firebricks arent bad Al, they are insulators not dense, so that price is quite good.

Comment

Hey Deejay,

So can you fill me in on the actual dimensions of a single roll? I am considering having my dad pick up a bunch from the store (about 16 since me and 3 of my friends want to build a WFO) and then drive them up in a minivan in March. Having seen the size of three rolls do you think 16 would fit in the back of a minivan with the back seat folded down? And did they come in individual boxes or just as a roll that can be smashed down? Let me know what you think. I want to get them bought soon before the deal is gone so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
              Nate
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

The one I got from HW came in an individual box. I don't think you could safely drive with a van full of them unwrapped due to the fibers they'd shed. I'd say the box I got was about two feet on a side.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
                  Hey Deejay,

So can you fill me in on the actual dimensions of a single roll? I am considering having my dad pick up a bunch from the store (about 16 since me and 3 of my friends want to build a WFO) and then drive them up in a minivan in March. Having seen the size of three rolls do you think 16 would fit in the back of a minivan with the back seat folded down? And did they come in individual boxes or just as a roll that can be smashed down? Let me know what you think. I want to get them bought soon before the deal is gone so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
                  Nate
                  As WJW says, the rolls come in cardboard box that is maybe 2 x 2 x 3 in dimension, and each weighs about 50 pounds. I'll leave it to you to decide if that fits in the minivan. But consensus seems to be that you only need 3 rolls for an oven, so not sure why you're getting 16 for 4 ovens.
                  My build progress

Comment

A box of CFB is about 15kg, or 33lb's. I can fit about 12 boxes in a Prado with the seats folded down.

Comment

Actually, the dimensions for a pallet are on the site

Dimensions for a pallet of 20 units: 43" L x 43" W x 94" H, Weight = 970 LBS

So weight of each unit is 48.6 lbs and volume is ~5 cubic feet.
                      My build progress

Comment

I think your weight includes the pallet. I just weighed a box of 25mm x 128kg/m3 and it weighs 15kg or 33lbs

Comment

Thanks to all for the info about the dimensions. I was worried about taking a bunch of fiber blankets out of the boxes and putting them in the van so thanks for that. I am glad to know ahead of time.

To answer your question deejay the reason I was thinking about going with 4 rolls per oven is because of the VERY cold winters here in Eastern Idaho. We get down below zero many times throughout the year (I have actually been out working in -30F which is still mild to some) and I want to make sure that I have as efficient an oven as possible in case I get crazy and cook in those crazy temps. And for only $24 bucks a roll I don't think it is all that bad of an investment to put at least 4 inches of thermal fiber blanket on the oven. Am I wrong in my thinking? Or should I just go for it and INSULATE, INSULATE, INSULATE as so many say on this forum? I am open to anybody's input.
                          Last edited by Pompeii Nate; 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM.
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...two-21068.html

Comment

Hello! Just going to chime in on this thread because I am getting ready to order the CFB. I am in Texas and have been looking around for the last month for the best deal on this stuff. I am going with Delta Refractories (located in Houston with warehouses in Houston and Dallas). I am getting 150 sqft 1" X 24" for $1.26 sq ft. no shipping because we are going to travel to the warehouse and pick it up.
                            knowledge is contagious, spread the infection!!!

Comment

Hey Doctor, I saw that same website, but when you go to add it to your cart, its out of stock. Try Skyline Components, LLC.... i just got 100sq for $160. I've ordered from them before and they ship same day and it's at your house in 4 bus. days.

Comment

One more place to look for refractory products. I don't know their pricing so you will have to ask. But I do know they are great people to deal with. Fair and honest
                                Riverview Refractory Service Riverview Refractory - Refractory Crucibles, Ladles, Thermocouples, and Firebrick Sales and Installation. Boiler Maintenance and Construction. 269-685-8923 Tell them I sent you. Let me know if you check them out. I just bought my firebrick from them for my twins.

Comment

Working...
                                X