Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceramic Fiber Blanket Dealer ( good deal ?? )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ceramic Fiber Blanket Dealer ( good deal ?? )

I am planning a WFO build and happened to be passing by McGills area in So Cal. Kinda interesting to work with but a great price. To pick-up an order you place it online and chose pick-up instead of shipping. You MUST have placed the order ahead of time and you MUST have exact change. When you show up, its a commercial area that has a buzzer on the security gate. An employee comes out to collect your CASH and brings out the product.

I thought the box looked thin so I opened it and the 1 inch thick boards box was missing 2 sheets. They quickly replaced it.

Very nice staff and great price but intersting style of operation.

I havent built the WFO so I can't state quality.

MK

Comment

Originally posted by drunklaw View Post

I havent built the WFO so I can't state quality.

MK
      So, now that the oven is built, do you recommend this product? I'm leary of any item that is so dang cheap, but I do love a good deal!

Comment

My McGills story involves driving 75 to the warehouse, if you can call it that. The place looks like a deserted drug hangout with weeds and torn up asphalt. The entire landing for the front door is all barred up and the man who responded to the ringer looked like he was right out of a horror movie (I'm not kidding). This is the guy I had presumably talked with for twenty minutes the day prior.

He directed me to take my car to the back and to go through the (rusted, creaky) warehouse doors. Once inside, the lighting was very dim, and the place was cluttered with junk and dirt and cobwebs. The place looked empty, but a small nearly-toothless old lady came out from between the storage racks and tried in her best English to ask what I wanted. She told me to wait and after retrieving my receipt (I paid via credit card earlier in the day) she pointed me to two partially crumpled boxes that turned out to be quite heavy. I looked inside and sure enough, it was the insulation.

I shivered on the way to the car and out loud asked myself if I really just did what I thought I did by going in there. I hightailed it out of there and breathed a sigh of relief wondering if I could have inhaled any fumes from rat droppings, etc.

As it turned out, I later bought some Kaowool refractory caulk from the owner of a distribution company who explained to me that the rough, unrefined texture of the McGills-type (Chinese) insulation works just as effectively as the fine, polished, non-itchy stuff but without the price. The insulation has worked perfectly for over a year, and at this point I would recommend it. Just be prepared for an adventure that one of the other FB posters here said 'gave him the creeps'.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
          I shivered on the way to the car and out loud asked myself if I really just did what I thought I did by going in there. I hightailed it out of there and breathed a sigh of relief wondering if I could have inhaled any fumes from rat droppings, etc.

'.
          I guess I'll leave my wife in the car! Thanks for the info though.

Comment

I just did a quick calculation and though mcgills has a higher shipping cost I would save a little over $100 compared to FB

Comment

you might want to check out Ds industries there price with shipping was less than Mc Gills Warehouse DS Industries Supplies -

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                X