Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculi

Originally posted by david s View Post
    It still takes tons of fossil fuel energy to heat perlite, vermiculite or expanded clay to the temperatures required in the processing.Straw with just enough slip (liquid clay mixture) is still probably the most sustainable solution.
    Gudday Davids
    You right there.... But in your climate just as mine it just would not work.
    Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Re: What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculi

To make insulated bricks didnt they use sawdust in the mix and it burns away leaving air pockets?

or

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/...e3e7a24e_m.jpg

Comment

Thanks for posting that document David. Had not seen it before. Interesting way of testing it on the hotplate. Would be intresting to test more materials that way like airated concrete, superwool, calsil etc. I know by the isolation value's that calsil board is one of the best insulators, but it never tells me if it would be worth the price compared to super cheap airated concrete or the probably even cheaper airated concrete you are making.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtwacht View Post
          How about using Expanded clay aggregate. They are a good alternative. On some of the build video's by Italian masters I have seen them use it and here I have a "wood fired oven shop" that also swears by them.
          Like most insulators used in Europe they are poor insulators. Put it in a category with Tuff, sand and grog.

Yeah, that was me, I use foam all the time. Seems no one else has followed suit with the idea. It's a better insulator than vermicrete and cheaper too. I use it 50/50 with vermicrete now.

/Users/davespizzaovens/Downloads/foam-concrete-18447.html
          I've tried, nobody in the US will even consider selling me the stuff without selling me a machine first. I'd really like to see what I can do with it.

Comment

[QUOTE
            I've tried, nobody in the US will even consider selling me the stuff without selling me a machine first. I'd really like to see what I can do with it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I've been through all that too. Tell the sellers that you already have a foam generator. Making your own foam generator is quite simple. Look at the foamcrete thread and you will see how I built mine. It is quite efficient and cheap to make.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Gudday Davids
              You right there.... But in your climate just as mine it just would not work.
              Regards Dave
              It works fine, but you need to keep it dry.Ok for dome insulation.But I wouldn't use it under the floor.

Comment

Interesting idea. My concern with using foam concrete as insulation would be off-gassing of the chemicals especially in an area under the floor. I would think that would happen even more rapidly during oven use too.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

In the production of Hebel they use aluminium powder that reacts with the lime to produce hydrogen, which then bubbles through the mix to froth it up. The process is very secretive and access to their factory is really difficult. By the time the product reaches market there is no trace of hydrogen left. I should imagine that foamcrete would be the same. It is the physical properties of the detergent like stuff that creates the foam, the bubbles are filled with air and only a minuscule amount of the concentrate is required. The concentrate makes 1000 times its volume and is itself 75% water. Check the foamcrete thread, the chemical composition of the stuff is there.

I toyed around with using cellulose powder in place of cement to make vermicrete, but gave up as it's not economical.Also discovered in researching this stuff that it is widely used in foods. They add the stuff to grated cheese to prevent it from clumping when frozen.It is basically wood fibres.
                  Last edited by david s; 09-26-2013, 03:16 PM.

Comment

In eastern ma see griffin greenhouse supply for vermiculite

Comment

Back in the olden days ( 1970s) we used to make foam concrete by adding aluminium powder to concrete to make it foam. Regarding the peanut shells has anyone considered charcoal which is way was used in Aladdin thermos flasks

Comment

Griffin greenhouse in Tewksbury mass for vermiculite

Comment

Working...
                        X