Vermiculite (Grade #3 or #4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermiculite (Grade #3 or #4)

Those bricks look pretty clean to me. The best way I found was to use a tomahawk to chip off mortar. It's tough work, but worth it if the bricks are cheap enough.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Those bricks look pretty clean to me. The best way I found was to use a tomahawk to chip off mortar. It's tough work, but worth it if the bricks are cheap enough.
      And just a stiff brush (whisk broom) to remove the loose material before laying the brick .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks Gents.

PS: Gulf I enjoyed your build, especially the design and implemantions of the damper.

Comment

For ease of use get what you feel comfortable with. For instance, I'm not sure which grade I used but, I used some (and I'm happy with the results). Try not to get to caught up in what you use or you'll end up like me......... Stuck at a stage because you want your oven to be the best it can be ( I'm having trouble sourcing the right products at a price I can afford ). I haven't done a lot with my project of late because of that fact. If I had of made the decision to use solid common bricks instead of committing to use the RIGHT bricks, perhaps my oven would have been finished by now. You're on the best track you could be on......like having your first child, listen to all the advise your given and make a decision that you are comfortable with. The best advise I can give is no matter what type you use just try not to breathe in the dust, you only have one pair of lungs.

Comment

Looks like you have a gold mine of old bricks. My old house has a lot of what the old masons described as salmon bricks. I use a dozen or so for the front decorative arch....for what it is worth.

Looking forward to your build. Keep us posted with pics.

jon
            jon

Comment

Originally posted by Saovicente View Post
              Gents,

I recently acquired some olden chimney bricks (average 7lbs each).
              My thoughts are to use them for the outer arch, brickies thermal mass idea, enclosing the oven for the vermiculite payload or decorative means.

Any better ideas of the best way to utilize them would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on the best method to clean them up a bit, other than scraping the dried mortar off ( I want to keep the aged look)

I have read pics are welcomed, so I added one for the visual fun.

Best regards,

Sandro
              G'day Sandro
              Re brickies use of pavers for thermal mass.
              Brickies oven used pavers 50 mm ( 2 ins)thick and firebrick slabs 35 mm ( 1 1/2 ins for his hearth. Most ovens use splits 50 mm ( 2 ins ) or fire brick on the 75 mm/3 in edge. You can overdo the thermal mass on your hearth and turn your oven from a great all rounder to an oven more suited to mass bread production.
              The floors are thinner cause heat goes up and the floor depends on the heat from the coals and that reflected from the dome. It takes the most time and fuel to heat. I have 75 mm firebrick hearth I believe that's as much mass as I can fuel and would be just happy with splits a 50 mm.
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ash71 View Post
                For ease of use get what you feel comfortable with. For instance, I'm not sure which grade I used but, I used some (and I'm happy with the results). Try not to get to caught up in what you use or you'll end up like me......... Stuck at a stage because you want your oven to be the best it can be ( I'm having trouble sourcing the right products at a price I can afford ). I haven't done a lot with my project of late because of that fact. If I had of made the decision to use solid common bricks instead of committing to use the RIGHT bricks, perhaps my oven would have been finished by now. You're on the best track you could be on......like having your first child, listen to all the advise your given and make a decision that you are comfortable with. The best advise I can give is no matter what type you use just try not to breathe in the dust, you only have one pair of lungs.
                Thanks Ash,

I appreciate the advice. I too am in a precarious position of wanting the best of products on my first outing but faced with a limited budget to get the oven done right. I will spurge on some on the products recommended. One by Davis S to use stainless steel needles and poly fibers) ooohh the shipping is a killer ($22 for the product - $10+ for the shipping). As we are the newbies: Do keep me updated on your progress, struggles as we learn from the masters in creating a new age of ovens with auto temperature (K) reads, internal oven light, wireless cam, heated lamps to the side (for the dough) and the wish list keeps growing (Where is Santa when I need him most)

Best Regards,

Sandro

Comment

I appreciate the look. I had to bare a chilly NE winter day to get my hands on those babies. All I know about the bricks are that they came from the tear down of a chimney and I have no idea what they are called and if they are good enough to use as part of my hearths thermal layer....Still searching.

I will definitely keep everyone up to date on my built. I will be starting a new thread in a month or so with pics as I break ground on the built.

Best Regards,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                    G'day Sandro
                    I have 75 mm firebrick hearth I believe that's as much mass as I can fuel and would be just happy with splits a 50 mm.
                    Regards dave
                    Dave,

I appreciate the reply. My concern was, since I will not have any ceramic boards under the firebricks. I wanted to insure I could maximize my options without breaking the bank. The pavers I have are from the tear down of an old chimney (each is about 2" thick).

The original plan was/is to follow the Pompeii method of having 3.5" of slab, I am thinking of using a reflective insulator (normally used under the concrete of a heated floor to insure there is no heat loss passing below the slab) 4" vermiculite, 2" pavers and 9x4.5x2.5 firebricks > giving me a total 4.5" of mass.

What do you think? Should I replace the 2.5" firebricks with 1.5" or just keep the 2.5" a and remove the pavers.

Your thoughts are appreciated,

Best regards,

Sandro

Comment

G'day
                      Those reflector type insulates usually are only effective when used in an air space, so I find the use you describe as unusual. Anyway effective or not if you have some why not , it will make a great moisture barrier under the insulation as well.
                      Again I'd would lose the paver layer and keep the mass down in a more usable range. 2.5 in (65mm) is a good amount of mass in an insulated oven.
                      Regards dave
                      By the way ceramic board is easy to use but expensive in comparison to pearlite/ cement.
                      But still 4 ins of pearlite/ cement insulates as well as 2 ins of ceramic board!
                      Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-15-2014, 11:07 PM. Reason: Add
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Reflective (foil)insulation is usually composed of a thin aluminium foil layer and PVC layers and is unlikely to remain intact in the high temps your oven will achieve, even below the floor so it would pay to check the manufacturers recommendations on operating temps

Comment

G'day
                          It's under the insulation layer, not under the brick. If it was it would not do as you have described.
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

Yes under the insulation should be ok although I would not expect a long life in contact with the cement If it is the roof ceiling product as it will not like the lime but if you have it you have nothing to lose

Comment

G'day again Toombula
                              It's been described as a produced used under the cement slab to contain the heat from underfloor heating. I never had experience with anything like that, sarking/ sisslation yes but that's a different beastie altogether.
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Sounds good for the use not much call for underfloor heating the North Queensland

Comment

Working...
                                X