Type N Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Type N Mortar

To use the Type N masonry cement, add 2 parts by volume pea gravel and 3 parts masonry sand to one part masonry. Non shrink grout is used for specific uses only, such as grouting base plates of columns and machinery. As fill for the cores, sure, throw it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
      I am trying to make a 60" X 12" X 4"thick countertop ledge in front of my oven. I will use lots of rebar drilled into the hearth slab to reinforce the counter and then I will put a piece of granite on top.

Here is my question:

I have six bags of industrial grout, 6 bags of quikrete, and 6 bags of Type N cement... is there any combination of these materials that will work for making a strong blend. I don't mind going out and buying more concrete, but I thought if I could use my extras I would. Thank for the help.
      John,
      Since you "don't mind buying more concrete" and you want a "strong" ledge, I would not play around with the Masonry Cement in this area. I would save it for some other project. Since this is a retrofit, I would drill the holes for the rebar at a slightly downward angle. Adding some corbels wouldn't hurt either.

Just Sayin'
      Last edited by Gulf; 10-19-2014, 07:58 AM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That is the mentality I was talking about. You do not need "strong" in terms of concrete, which means PSI, you want strong in terms of flexural strength. Almost any mix will provide the compressive strength you need, some will provide better flexural and shear strength. Your masonry cement, whether PCL or MC will have less compressive, but better flexural and shear strengths.

If you are confused, do as Gulf says and buy concrete mix, you can't go wrong with that advise.

Comment

Working...
        X