This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finding local building materials

finding building materials in central Pennsylvania, USA has been very difficult. It has been impossible to find a bag of fire clay to mix with the sand to set the fire brick in on the hearth. I ended up cutting the fire brick in half to get some clay to use in the first layer. that provided me some and was very time consuming. we broke a few bricks and beat them into powder which also took hours and sore forearms. That is just nuts! since I can't find fire clay to mix with the oven mortar I have switched to using High Heat 50 at $90/bag. good luck finding a local source for fire clay.

Comment

Try Larkin Refractory in Georgia. They ship anywhere i think.
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I have been on the phone for the last 30 minutes just trying to order some fire clay. I am instructed to put fire clay on the concrete underneath the insulation board. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND! I made my own by breaking down bricks but that took hours to just break three bricks. and I need more. this is ridiculous

Comment

call Larkin.678-336-7090 phone
          678-336-7094 fax
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

i tried tonight at 9 EST. i will try tomorrow.

Comment

I called Larkin. they have the fire clay for mortar and is $14.50 a 50 lb. bag
              Shipping it to PA would probably double that. thanks for the help.

Comment

I paid alot of shipping too. Only way i could get the right stuff. Have you done a google search for refractory supplies or Kiln supplies in your area?
                I made a big order and tried to get it all at one to save shipping costs.
                texman
                Texman Kitchen

Comment

i did contact every possible place in the central PA area. I just found one local hardscape contractor that will sell me some for $26. I will be away for awhile and my oven project will have to wait. I will also get some fire clay in the meantime. thanks so much for your help. by the way I did get the rest of the materials locally.
                  question: do you think it would be alright to just use sand underneath the 3.5" soapstone bricks. the fire bricks will be on top of them and the splits will be on top of the fire bricks. a local builder of ovens sold me the soapstone and suggested the splits for the cooking surface. he is in canada right now and I cannot contact him. maybe you can help.

Comment

Dagored
                    I didn't see you mention any insulation in that configuration. The fireclay is used to bond the sand and take the heat that some of the sand particles might not, i think. Sand will work, but make sure there is an insulating layer in there somewhere.
                    Go ahead and start a thread of your own, probably in the "getting started" and you will get a lot of help from the forum on any questions you have. Post some pics so we can see your build and get an idea or your progress.
                    Tracy
                    Texman Kitchen

Comment

Dagored,

HF Muddox has a fire clay product called Mortar "Clay", don't confuse with Mortar Mix. There is a distributor for Muddox products in PA.

Tri-State Brick
                      #11 Seven Neshaminy Interplex
                      Trevose, PA 19053
                      Phone: 215-639-6561

In Utah, this same material was $9.00 a 50# bag, I would think the price would be similar at this distributor.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hey Dagored,

Pittsburgh looks like it might be too far of a drive for you but here's what I have found:

For firebrick/fireclay/angle iron:
                        Atlas Clay and Metal
                        2034 Chateau Street
                        Pittsburgh, PA 15233
                        Phone: 412-321-1852
                        ? Masonry - Pittsburgh, PA - Atlas Clay & Metal Products, Inc.

For FOAMGLAS and ceramic blankets:
                        Geo. V. Hamilton, Inc.
                        2 River Avenue
                        McKees Rocks, PA 15136
                        412-771- 0900
                        Geo. V. Hamilton

For vermiculite:
                        Where to Buy Vermiculite

Good luck

Paul

Comment

Looking for a Forno bravo dealer somewhere on the way from Oshkosh WI to Toronto that has high heat morter IN STOCK.!! Special thanks to Forno bravo on cheapifying their 36" kit. Not enough fire bricks or morter to actually complete the oven... And customer service reps that can't tell me who has stock. After calling 4 of them I'm just pissed that I didn't source all the materials elsewhere. $&@$& you Forno Bravo!!! Venting complete!

Comment

thanks for the tip on the source in Pittsburgh. I am originally from the 'burgh and will be there over the next few months. will check it out. thanks

Comment

I have firebricks, used, clean, and in very good shape.
                              Randy
                              Rfieldbuilds@yahoo.com

Comment

Hello
                                I'm Mark from MN. I'm planning on using Hi Cast from Alsey for mortar application. The inner, tighter joints, I will use flue set. Does this make sense? I talked to a manager today at FB. He seemed to think it would work well. Hi Cast is a castable fire clay. Sending photos of my progress. I used landscape blocks to build up the support and am ready to start the dome and arch.

Comment

Working...
                                X