Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corner Build Foundation Question

Hi ralogan55,

Great to see someone starting on a corner install! Check out mine when you get a chance! I've included a kitchen area with my build, so it will take me a while. You might be done with your oven build before I'm done with mine!

As for the concrete mix, go for the 6 sack mix. That's what I did with my foundation mix, and it doesn't cost that much more. My pour came out great, and it's held up great! It's always better to have a stronger foundation, especially since you'll be placing a ton of weight on it with the blocks, hearth, brick, oven, etc. You don't want that foundation cracking under all that weight and pressure!! Just my 2 cents.

Post pics! We like to see-compare-praise other builds! By the way, my corner foundation dimensions are 82x82 inches, the actual block wall with the hearth slab is 70x70 inches, and I'm going for a 42 inch oven.

aceves

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/c...area-5008.html
    Last edited by aceves; 04-15-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks, aceves for the tips and encouragement.

Your stand will be the same as mine (70" x 70"), but you have a bigger foundation. I was cramped for space on the side next to the apple tree so it got limited to 74" x 74".

Although it would be nice to have a 42" oven that's really more than I need with just the wife and me at home. The 42" would come in handy for parties though, but with the extra wood and heat-up time I think I'm leaning towards a 36" s I can have plenty of room for an enclosue should I go that way. I really won't know until I get the hearth built. Are you planning an igloo or enclosure?

Comment

Hi ralogan55,

The reason why the foundation is so large is because I'm planning on putting stone veneer (real stone - a gift from my brother) on the outside of the hearth, so I needed the extra room on the foundation so the overall hearth wouldn't be sticking out past the foundation.

As for the oven, I'm doing an enclosure design. I'm going with a theme, but I'll post more on that later, with pics to show my progress.

A 36" oven is a good size. I just went for the 42" because we're planning on large parties! Keep us posted! I'll keep checking in on your progress. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

aceves

P.S. I'll be sending you a friend request soon.

Comment

I'm about ready to start the remesh and rebar if it'll quit raining long enough. But, I have a couple of questions:

(1) I see the Pompeii plans call for a 6 mil vapor barrier between the crushed aggregate and the rebar/remesh array. Is this really necessary? Yes, I know it's cheap to install, but in So Calif we have no soil freezing and my water table is way low. Besides, it'll slow my curing by at least a week. I checked with Stego Industries and they say its more of a "nice to have" than a "need to have" on a small project. Some concrete guys advise against it since it retards the bond between the concrete and the rock base. So, what's the worst that could happen?

(2) All the Pompeii photos show a portable mixer being used for mixing the foundation mud. I have some neighbors telling me that the mud will start to set-up before I ever get done mixing, pouring, and trowling. If that's the case, I gotta buy a tow-behind and rent a 3/4T truck - cha'ching...$300 for all that. Doesn't everyone just use 90# sacks of Quikrete?

Thanks.

Rick

Comment

Working...
          X