Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neapolitan oven - lower dome height

seems to me it goes like this the lower dome cooks a (better) pizza
    because the top is closer to the pizza but the higher ovens reatin more heat from the wood using less wood also get hotter faster

So i have sloved the problem well not me but someone did here it goes make a high dome oven
    cook pizza then lift pizza up for say a count of 5- 10 to char top note this is not allways needed but there if needed know you have a round oven with a high dome to hold the heat in from the fire longer. starts faster uses less wood.

Comment

The lower dome reduces the chamber volume and hence the size of the fire which would result in a slower heat up. In practice I don't think it makes much difference, they all cook well.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

To me the big difference is a lower dome oven can be run hotter. The low dome will cook the top fast enough that you can keep your hearth temp up without burning. My oven has a 13" dome. I can run at a 1000F hearth temp and kick out 40 second pies all day long. If I bring the temp down below 900 the top can actually cook too fast. That heat and speed isn't critical for great pizza but for the style I like to make it works very well and gives awesome oven spring

Comment

A hemisphere has a single focus point = the centre.

An ellipse has two, or in 3 dimensions a ring.

Comment

And a barrel vault, with coals and flame on one side, has a line the length of the oven.

Comment

Working...
            X