Kettle bbq with refractory cement walls and dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kettle bbq with refractory cement walls and dome

So this idea of building a dome for the big green egg (BGE) would constitute a smaller dome that what you put together using the Weber kettle lid. The diameter is about 20 inches. If I did it out of straight castable refractory it might not weigh much more than the standard BGE lid.

Would straight ks-4 be stronger?

Now I just have to figure out how to come up with a form that size.. ??

Thanks for your input.

Eric
    Last edited by tailbiter; 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I used the bottom of a weber kettle for my form. It is pretty much a half sphere , 22 1/2 " diameter. I think you can see pics of it in these threads.
      It might be easier to just make a sand form. Look at Kiko Denzer's book, Build your own earth oven.

Whether you use straight ks-4 or mix in the perlite like I did, you still need an insulation layer. I used Perlcrete, 10 parts perlite and 1 part portland cement.

How much weight do you thinks the big green egg can support?

Comment

So my green egg sets in what they call a nest. it's a fairly sturdy metal frame to support the weight of a 155 lbs ceramic base, and dome (lid).

I removed the dome piece yesterday and weighed it. It's 38 Lbs. It's about 1" thick ceramic. I'm guessing the frame could support and additional 50 lbs. If needed I could build a wood table that would support much more weight.

In this model (using the big green egg) all heat is generated below in the firebox. A "platesetter" shields direct heat, and then my stone is raised above the platesetter using a couple of trimmed fire bricks.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...12664878_n.jpg

Therefore direct heat does not come in contact with the dome. I'm wondering if this might reduce the need for this additional insulation layer.??

Here's a couple of more questions related to the insulation layer you mentioned..

When you mention the extra insulation layer of "Perlcrete" is this poured after the initial shell is dried and cured?

Is the perlite the insulation material that is held together with the portland cement being the cohesive agent?

Would you apply this with a chicken wire mesh and trowel like the WFO's I've seen posted?

Thanks

Eric
        Last edited by tailbiter; 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Rich,
          Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge and experience. I am in the beginning stages of planning a build similar to yours. The link to the youtube video of the ripoff build of the Franken-weber won't let me access the video, stating that it's private and requires a password. Do you have another way to access the video?
          Thanks
          -Andy

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Working...
            X