Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all up..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all up..

Hi all, Very new here! My oven idea was a last minute addition to a landscape construction job I'm in the middle of here in (smoky from wildfires) Taos NM. I just wanted to get a foundation and hearth foot-print in so I could butt the flagstone up to it then study and design a pretty 42" oven later when I had more time.

I used the 42" corner oven dimensions from page 18 of the pdf plan but, in a hurry, thought the 42" was an INSIDE measurement, hence I'm 10" off on the base.

Right now, the outside dimension of my corner hearth (cement is already set inside the concrete blocks) is currently 61.5" on the two sides, sticks out 40.5", the diagonal blocks being 30" across.

I'm wondering how to get a 42" (interior) oven onto this thing? Maybe cantilever the oven floor support out 5" all around?

Or do I just do a 36" (interior) oven? (Which is probably a bit too small for my cooking...)

I wonder how far off the hearth/support I can get away with so as to gain more room for the oven but not have it look stupid? The "tongue" piece to hold the oven entry chamber can, of course, be built out,diagonally from the base and so I'll need to get those supports in now.

Basically, is there any way I can make this 10" too small hearth work for 42" oven or do I need to re-think everything? Maybe just blow it off, do it when I do the landscape the back yard next summer...

Decisions decisions...

Thanks for any advice or kind thoughts,
    ~robin

An oven larger than the base

It will be a bit more challenging, but you CAN use your base for a larger oven! Just make the concrete form for the hearth hang over the outside of the stand on the sides or back or front, wherever you need the larger dimension. Then, use a little more steel rebar in the hearth, especially where it hangs over the stand. This assertion assumes you actually have space to make the oven larger.

I had a real Carpenter help me with the forming of my hearth because we needed to add 6" to the front of the stand. If you look at the photo gallery, you will find many people who have done what you want to do.

When/if you make a stucco or brick facade on the oven stand, everything will be covered and no one for the wiser.

Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all

Thanks Lee! I'll check em out.
      As a matter a fact I just came up with another idea that I think might work. Crazy I didn't think of it earlier..Since I'm making this glorious oven part of a little outdoor corner kitchen, my slab is actually 12.5 feet on the two outside edges, out 5 feet from there and then there's a diagonal that cuts straight across so LOTS of foundation out front. If I imagine, say, a quarter slice of a 7 or 8 foot circle as the new base,(meaning the hearth extends out 7 or 8 feet from the corner of the space,) I've got plenty of room to build the igloo structure on top, bringing it forward.

I give up a lot of counter space on what were to be two "wings" that came off the oven but, hey.. And since the counter next to the built-in grill on the one side of the oven and the side burner on the other, blends into the "counter" around the dome oven, I think it'll look kind of cool. As I say, I'm in New Mexico and adobe curves are pretty de rigor :-)

Okay. Hot as heck out thar and the wind just this minute picked up big-time. Pray for no sparks here, yet another instant fire! Think I'll take a little snooze then back to the drawing board.. ~robin

Comment

Re: Is a 62" corner base too small for a 42" (interior)oven? Am about to give it all

Some pictures of what you have to date would improve the advice you get from the forum
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Here's a photo of the foundation (I hope) 10.5' x 10.5' by 4.5' x 4.5' and then the diagonal which is 8.5'. It's an 8.5' square with a corner ripped off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000694.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	286348

The concrete blocks are at 62" x 62" x 41" x 41" as noted but if I change to this other idea, I'll add to the blocks and move the oven out of the corner toward the center it will just provide additional support (?)

I can just make sure the cavity is completely sealed off for animals and dirt yet still have enough room for wood.. when I get a scanner hooked up, I'll add the drawing.. thanks! ~robin

Comment

You have all the space you need to enlarge your hearth base. You can do something like this to form for the concrete:

This example is for a rectangular shape, but the idea is the same, you need to go a few inches past your stand on several sides. You can do easy.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Here's another picture of the foundation.

Name:	P1000710.jpeg
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	286351

Here's the house showing the beginning of the project. You can see the pillars ready for color-coat on the stucco and waiting to have latilla attached to the stringers between them. Latilla are skinned spruce saplings tied next to each other, about 3" diameter. It was a completely empty lot except for the house structure, not even any steps. The horno will be in the northwest corner and be smack dab in the view of the sunset from the house... so the lower left of the house photo..

Name:	P1000736.jpeg
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	286350

The portal (covered deck) and the steps in the photo below were just added last week. You can see the black paper waiting for stucco. The flagstone is from right around here. We're up in the mountains. 8000 feet. It will be all flagstone with raised beds for plants and trees.

I'm doing the whole thing myself and am running like the proverbial chicken...

~robin

Comment

Thanks Lee, I guess I'm ready to git back up on the horse. Was feelin' a mite discouraged... ~r

Comment

Its an easy adjustment at this point Robin

I planned to build a barrel oven and made the base accordingly, (too small). I managed to make just enough space for a 39 inch oven (a size I'm very happy with), but had to enlarge the hearth about a foot on one side and six inches in front. You are not the first to find yourself wondering what happened, or 'how do I fix this'
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

It might be easier to build an other block wall around the entire stand at this point.
                    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Yes. I was thinking that very thing although I would build the additional wall, a straight then circular thing, around only half the walls as the the back two walls, the ones that are 62" long, are right on the edge of the foundation. Flush even... (I was a little concerned about that too -- they're quite good but it's sometimes a little hard managing a crew of four, watching every little thing.)

In any case, is it crazy to plot my concrete block curve with the blocks lined up vertically rather than the long way? Am wondering if I'll get the same support? Thnak you! ~r

Comment

Originally posted by robinreese View Post
                        Yes. I was thinking that very thing although I would build the additional wall, a straight then circular thing, around only half the walls as the the back two walls, the ones that are 62" long, are right on the edge of the foundation. Flush even... (I was a little concerned about that too -- they're quite good but it's sometimes a little hard managing a crew of four, watching every little thing.)

In any case, is it crazy to plot my concrete block curve with the blocks lined up vertically rather than the long way? Am wondering if I'll get the same support? Thank you! ~r
                        Defining "crew of four"....If you have some bona fide craftsmen there, forming the cantilever over the current walls will be easiest and plenty strong. If the crew is your family and friends, choose the method you are most comfortable with.

Personally, I'd pour a hearth that would hold the oven.
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I finally got some better pictures of what I plan to do. I drew the outline onto the slab itself. I wrote in where is the flush mounted side burner on the left and where the built-in grill goes on the right. The rocks are on top of the concrete blocks to mark the approximate circle outline of the oven itself.

Name:	P1000746.JPG
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	286382

I will obviously be using more concrete blocks to build out to the edge of the curved line and everything that's not oven, grill, or burner will be exactly the same 50 inches high, so all counter. The concrete slab will have flagstone mortared to it. The dirt will be weed cloth then sand then flagstone "floated" in it, butting up to the mortared flag. The guys who poured the slab didn't hear me say I wanted the outside edge of the kitchen slab to be in line with the outside edge of the fence pillars so my corner will be in line with the latilla fence that strings between the pillars, 8 inches in from the outside edge of the pillars. I guess that'll be okay... As I mentioned, the oven was a last minute idea so I wanted to use their manpower to get the thing started, as long as they're here with all the machines, then do the actual oven myself, on top of the hearth, when I have more money and am better-versed in the process of building the dome.

Here's the view of the slab out my living room window, facing west. It's usually bright and clear here at 8000 feet but we have forest fires all around us right now. New Mexico is in a real drought this year..

Name:	P1000774.JPG
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	286383

Here's the look I'm aiming for:

Name:	orange, CA.jpeg
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	286381

Thanks for your support here. It helps to just write it out for the record too. Starting to keep a photo file here and on picasa.

Comment

Working...
                          X