Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Started Building

Hey All,
    Just took my first step building my oven, after reading this forum and asking a couple of question about less expensive building methods. I found the cost saving not to be enough to change standard build method or plans. So I found the place in my back yard cleared the required space and built the concrete slab form. I will mix concreate in a couple days wish me luck, I'm new to this kind of work.

How long should the slab sit before I build the block walls avg temp here in Florida around 40 to 65 degrees?

Re: Just Started Building

Concrete can take quite a while to fully cure. Since you are not driving a car on it, I would let it sit for a couple of days and you will be good to go. Good luck!
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hey Roundmanone!
      Best of luck in building your oven! What size oven are you going to build?
      As soon as the ground thaws here in MA, I'm about to start the stand for a
      42" Pompeii. Enjoy!
      Rick
      View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

I'm building a 36" it's just my wife and me. I plan to cook lots of chicken and other good foods. I have been reading the forum and can't wait to get a fire burning and try some receipes.

Comment

I hear ya! Roundmanone
          I think when I finally build my oven, I'm 'gonna' be packin' on some (more) pounds!!!! I've got to go on a strict diet before this project gets finished!!!
          Best to ya,
          Rick

Comment

I started my dig today and will be setting up forms and hopefully pouring a foundation this weekend. I am planning on a 42" right now.

Comment

Very Nice!!!!Telehort,
              I'm gettin' a bit jealous of you guys in those warm climates! It's cold and gettin' colder here in the northeast. I keep looking out at my frozen location, chompin' at the bit to mix some concrete!!! (see pictures under 'O' section of photo gallery)
              Anyways, Best of luck in your build and take some pictures if you can!
              Rick

Comment

Telehort,
                How are you mixing your concrete? I'm doing this job as a solo act so I'm doing it all by hand. I'm going to use ready mix concrete. I plan on going to get the bags in the morning so I have all day for the slab. I have no idea how long it takes to mix around fifty 80 pound bags of ready mix any idea? Good luck on your project.

Comment

I still have a day or two to figure it out. I have a neighbor who has said he will help me mix it and if that is the case we will do it by hand, but part of me is also thinking it is in the long run just as cheap when you factor in time to go get some concrete from the local rental store where you bring the premixed trailer home and just wheel-barrow it and dump.

Comment

I mixed the concrete for the slab everything went well. I had my son-in-law help mix, with two people using one eight pound bag each load worked well. Now I'll wait one week to build the block walls if the weather holds. Florida gets lots of rain in the winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X