X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: Starting new 36" build

Good call on the change of venue. I was thinking it was your thread when I posted. I did remember that snowbird bit. And the foot is healing. I'm able to hike, bike, and jump rope. No running yet. I should be back on the board by January if there are no setbacks.

Do get that dome finished! I am loving being able to use my oven and not think about what I need to do next

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Did not want to hijack the other thread so............

Well the paw must be feeling better. I retired from teaching at Snowbird (20 years) but I still know the resort. I can't say I will not go back but not until I retire from my real job. So maybe we can go tear it up! I have been a slug at finishing the dome and fall is definitely here so need to kick @#$

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Thank you. That is a big help. I'm a ways away from that yet but I am starting to think about my options and the items you mentioned - pitch, flue length, eave height etc. is where I am at right now. I am also playing around with sketchup to see how the different proportions look. I have found that application to be extremely useful throughout this project.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by jbruning View Post
    Hi Dennis,
    You've got a really nice setup there. I am curious about your chimney finish. Could you provide the dimensions of your chimney chase? Is it the size of the duravent chase flashing? And what is the height of the chase flashing from the roof peak?
    Thanks! That chimney chase was one of the more difficult calcs in the oven. I used the duravent flashing, which is 21.75" on each side. It's brick splits mortared onto lath over cement board. I tried to size the chase so that the final size of the brick would fit just inside the flashing - but somewhere I screwed up by an inch or so, as the brick is slightly larger than the flashing. I just used a grinder at the top to cut it back a bit so that the flashing nestles in there.

I think the top of the chase is only 6 inches or so above the peak of the roof.. The hard part is working out the height of the roof, the angle of the roof, and the length of flue you need so that it all looks right. My #1 concern was that the corners of the eaves be high enough that I would not hit my head on them. They're 75". Then I played around with the pitch of the roof in sketchup til I was satisfied with the look. I didn't want it too flat. That pretty much dictated the chase height since I had only sprung for 42" of flue and there needs to be clearance above the flashing. Even at that, I had to cut the storm flashing smaller to still have it fit.

End of the day, I am pleased with the profile - but it was a pain to get the way I wanted it.

Leave a comment:

• jbruning
    replied

Hi Dennis,
    You've got a really nice setup there. I am curious about your chimney finish. Could you provide the dimensions of your chimney chase? Is it the size of the duravent chase flashing? And what is the height of the chase flashing from the roof peak?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• CrocAu
    replied

WOW is all that i can say, such good looking oven space.

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

DJ it looks pretty balanced with the amount of stainless, brick and stucco etc.

nice work

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Great job DJ!

A very beautiful oven which makes me think of the "F word".........Finished .

Maybe, one day, I can use that same word for the MQ .

It's fun to see a "finished" oven that I have watched from the very beginning .

Again, great job! I've learned from your build, and others will too.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I got the last bits of touch-up paint onto the oven and power-washed the patio last week. With the stretch of nice weather we are having here in Seattle, I was finally able to get some higher res shots of my 100% complete oven and kitchen

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	294554 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	294555

Total time elapsed on the project was about 15 months - but I took about 6 months off for the winter. Total budget was about $8.5k, but more than half of that was for the shiny stainless bits and the barbeque. Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance along the way. I'm looking forward to getting a lot of use out of this in the coming years.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Looks great! The attention to detail in the finish is an elephant stamp earner alright!

That's setting the bar right up there.

Congratulations............... Steve

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

10 out of 10 for effort.
    Have an elephant stamp.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Looks great DJ,

One day I hope to have a finished look .

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Very nice work, it looks great.
    Baguettes are often cooked a bit hotter and faster, they are thinner and the heat can penetrate to their centres more easily.
    This is good for WFO's because it takes the sting out of the oven so the next batch of bigger loaves can be loaded in and cooked at a slightly lower temp.
    I read somewhere that the pizza was actually originally a bakers snack that was cooked hot and fast before they loaded their ovens with other breads.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Got a bit more nice weather, so I was able to finish the stucco. Yeah! Now it's just a bit of quarter round trim in the eaves, pea gravel around the base, some cleanup - and I am off to the "what's cooking" section full time.

Here's the housing pre-stucco, all taped off because I make a mess with a trowel

Name:	WP_000310.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	293778
    90lbs of stucco mix - probably 30lbs more than I needed. But it comes in bags that size.

Name:	WP_000311.jpg
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	293779
    And the finished product

Name:	WP_000312.jpg
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	293780Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000314.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	293781

And just because I have one picture left - here's the baguettes I made yesterday! They came out pretty well for my first try - but I think I needed my oven a bit hotter because the crust wasn't as golden as I would have liked

Name:	WP_000308.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	293782

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I initially used some sealer that I bought from the concrete supply store. But after the winter, I have started using "Butcher Block Sealer" from Home Depot.

I did a bit of research on the concrete counter forums on what they recommended, and there seemed to be the most consensus on beeswax+carnuba wax. The Butcher Block Sealer was one product recommended as food safe.

I have taken to treating the counters every month or so. It keeps up the water resistance and leaves a nice rich glow. The sealer is pretty cheap - I think it was $9 a bottle, and I am guessing I can get maybe six treatments out of a bottle. Side benefit is that it works really well on wooden peels and cutting boards too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X