X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Starting new 36" build

Sucker hole here too. A few nice days but suppose to be rainy this weekend too. What did you coat your counters with? I was not pleased with the Lithium sealant I used and going to take off after I get the dome done since I have to repair my counters due to winter damage.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I like the stucco/stone combination, and the brick color compliments the veneer nicely too.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    DJ,

The mosaic turned very nice along with the polished concrete. How's the foot doing?
    Thanks Russell. I am pretty ambulatory now, but still rehabbing. Because of where the bone spur was, they had to detach/reattach my achilles, which means it's at least six months to get back to a normal activity level. It's been a rough patch, but definitely improving.

We had our annual "spring tease" here - a week of great weather that make you think summer is about to start. Today we are slammed back into reality:

Click image for larger version

Name:	weather.png
Views:	1
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	293716

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

DJ,

The mosaic turned out very nice along with the polished concrete. How's the foot doing?
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Xene
    replied

Gorgeous! Wow - love the landing, the stone is breathtaking...beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Great info Brickie and Tex! thanks.

Got the brown coat all on today. Cleaned up the brick on the arch and chimney. I think she's looking pretty good! I kind of like the taupe shade of the wet brown coat, but SO says something lighter.

Name:	WP_000303.jpg
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	293707
    I'm headed to the concrete supply tomorrow to look for acrylic final coat + coloring.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

The guys i hired for stucco used the cement based mortar for scratch coats and then used synthetic (acrylic) like brickie said. The builder supply place where i bought it said "nobody uses real stucco anymore for final coat." fwiw The stucco guy agreed and said the synthetic is better and lasts, and easier to apply.

It was an El Rey brand and you can pick the texture and color to your taste.

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I do have questions about the final coat. What do I use there? Is there something with an additive that offers better water resistance? And what about pigment? Can I mix the color in instead of painting? Does that start with white mortar so I can do lighter colors? I haven't really research yet, so thought I'd just throw those out there.

Do a google for acrylic render.
    It comes in a variety of colo(u)rs and is water proofishish.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

More progress to report:

Got the chimney tuck pointed. That was much easier than I expected, and actually kind of fun! I just need to do a bit of cleanup with muriatic acid. I found a great video on Youtube that showed how to do this.

Name:	WP_000299.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	293684
    I am 1/3 of the way through the brown coat on my oven house. Again, it is not as bad as I feared. I am taking it a bit slow - going as far as I can with a bag of mortar each day. Masonry experts, please tell me if I am making any huge mistakes, but let the little ones slide . I used s-type mortar for both the scratch and brown coats. Stuff that I picked up at HD that says "use for scratch and brown coats" on the bag. Hope this is right. Seems fine. I've applied about 1/4" for each coat. Takes about 1 + 1/2 bags to do a coat.

Name:	WP_000296.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	293681Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000297.jpg
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	293682Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000298.jpg
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	293683
    I do have questions about the final coat. What do I use there? Is there something with an additive that offers better water resistance? And what about pigment? Can I mix the color in instead of painting? Does that start with white mortar so I can do lighter colors? I haven't really research yet, so thought I'd just throw those out there.

Hoping I can finish up by Thursday, I am having a bunch of the neighbors over for dinner Saturday to see what I have been up to so I'd like to get all the tools out of there for that.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

very cool! Glad to hear you have survived the winter shut down and back at the wfo. I REALLY like that faux chimney of yours! I may have to add (steal) that.

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

I'll be interested to hear if power washing is sufficient, or if you also need acid and a scrub brush to clean up the patio.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

OK, I am almost there:
    - Landing permanently installed: Check
    - Eaves and trimwork installed: Check
    - Eaves stained and trim painted (SO did this one): Check
    - Brick trim that I knocked off while installing said trim reinstalled: Check

Last stuff to do:
    - Point up bricks on chimney (will be referencing the internets to figure out how this is done)
    - apply 3-layer stucco to oven house. I am starting scratch coat tomorrow
    - Put all tools back in the garage, power wash everything, and finally just enjoy backyard!

The finish line is in sight.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Beads up like no tomorrow, I have used a water based sealer on my granite counters,they are still shiny but do not bead water like that.

I have a cutoff I think I will try a wax treatment to see how it holds up. I can put thr cutoff in full sun and weather to give it a good workout.

Thanks for this update.

Chip
    I liked it so much I just sanded one of my peels and applied it to that. It also worked a treat on brightening up the colors in the mosaic.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I got a little work in on the oven last week, finally getting through the lame foot and the crappy weather. At long last, I finished the brick work above the arch so I have the faux chimney in place. I think it came out pretty well. I got most of the trim under the eaves installed too.

Name:	WP_000284.jpg
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	293399

Now I just need to get the brick onto the chimney chase and the saw goes onto craigslist

About to put in a couple loaves of Ciabatta this morning...

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Beads up like no tomorrow, I have used a water based sealer on my granite counters,they are still shiny but do not bead water like that.

I have a cutoff I think I will try a wax treatment to see how it holds up. I can put thr cutoff in full sun and weather to give it a good workout.

Thanks for this update.

Chip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X