• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Getting started

Look at post 25 of this link.

It gives the same type of geometry as a strap hinge but he calls it a lazy Susan.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...lia-14634.html

Chip

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

Finished installing the floor seems pretty flat has a couple of gaps between bricks larger than I like nothing major though. I have read about those that are planning on using a belt sander on their floor to make sure it's flat. Is this really necessary or are they over thinking?

I am starting my soldier course from the insulating hearth rather than sitting on the cooking floor as per the plans. The height of the brick above the cooking floor is 4.5" just like a brick cut in half. Is their any adjustment I need to make in building my IT for this? or is the radius of the dome the correct length. just don't want to end up with a too high dome. Any thoughts?

It was suggested to me that I might need to use an strap hinge to make my IT to compensate for the soldier height. I can't seem to find a thread about this situation.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

I made the jump and insulated under the landing. The insulative hearth is five inches thick of 7:1 vermiculite concrete. With a bit of luck will be laying the cooking floor tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

I honestly don't see much point in insulting beyond thermal break. Most of the heat transferred there will be radiated so it's not like it'll do much to prevent it in any case.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by bgreed View Post
    So the weather and time have all come together yesterday I got the strucrtural hearth poured and the form put together for the vermicrete insulating hearth. I didn't form up for the landing as I am planning a thermal break. So if I am thinking correctly because of the thermal break there is no need for the thermal hearth underneath it. Am I thinking correctly on this ? Oh and here's some pics.
    you also want insulation under the landing there is still heat tranfered via a thermal break.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

Got the insulating hearth pored tonight pics to follow was dark when I finished. Hopefully Sunday will start laying the cooking floor and maybe start the dome. Going to a Russian Festival in Kalamazoo tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

So the weather and time have all come together yesterday I got the strucrtural hearth poured and the form put together for the vermicrete insulating hearth. I didn't form up for the landing as I am planning a thermal break. So if I am thinking correctly because of the thermal break there is no need for the thermal hearth underneath it. Am I thinking correctly on this ? Oh and here's some pics.

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

Brickie I understand the inherent problems of having four seperate pads however since this placement is temporary I felt it was the best way to go so it will be easy to move when the time comes.

As far as standing in mud goes I decised to not put down any finish until after the build is complete. So here's some more photos.

I also found out that building block piers and keeping everything plumb and level is more difficult than building a wall.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

You're going to be standing in mud on rainy days or after? Thats not pleasant.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Its bad practice to have four independent pads like that holding a suspended slab, when one of the pads move the suspended slab will crack.

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

Well the build has started! Pads are poured and the four concrete block piers are completed (no pics of those yet) tomorrow will start framing up the supports for the hearth pour hopefully by next weekend!!

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

bgreed, I live in Virginia, my oven is set for a move in the future. It sits on a gravel bed (no concrete) and my oven base is made of logs. I made my oven base with a place for forks or straps to get under the oven for the lift. I also went extra thick with good rebar for the future lift.

My oven and base have not moved and I have no problems with the gravel so I think you will be just fine with your plan.

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

Never mind about the super isol board I found my answer

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

So the build is started. I dug down far enough to build up a bed of 4" of compacted pea gravel under each 24"x24" pad which is has a nominal thickness of 4" concrete is a five sack mix. Next will be building up four piers using chimney blocks 16"x16"x8" with 4"x 4"x16" solid block laid flat to cap each pier. I plan on pouring a 4" slab on top of this 60"x70" reinforced with rebar five bag mix with 5/8" aggregate. question is do I need to pour an insulating layer as I am planning on using 3" of supersol insulating board under the oven floor?

Leave a comment:

• bgreed
    replied

Well I made the decision. I started laying out the foundation today. I will pour four 2'x2' x4" under each one will be 4" of compacted pea gravel. On top of these will build 16" square piers out of cement block. Then will form the slab to rest on these. It should be plenty stable without having to worry about heaving. ALso easy to break apart when when I'm ready to move.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X