Kansas Corner Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas Corner Build

Thanks, Russell. It is cool to see people whose builds I have studied (apparently not enough studying yet!) chime in on this. I wouldn't even have considered tackling this project without this community and the collective knowledge.

So, if I am reading your jig right you would be able to accomplish the equivalent of 4 cuts with just 2 passes through the saw. What I don't get, though, is how the Z axis tilt on your jig accomplishes the bevel transition to the top of the dome. I expected to be cutting a brick like the attached sketchup model which I think requires 4 passes through the saw.

I like your approach better. I just can't wrap my brain around the final brick shape that comes out of your jig.

I will study your build more closely when I have some free time tonight. Thanks for the pointers!

Comment

Originally posted by Saggy View Post
      The bevel cuts are on the top and bottom, correct? The cuts to the sides are the most dramatic? It almost looks like it would be just as easy, and would fit as well, to not make the top and bottom bevel cuts and fill the gaps with mortar. I'm sure that will become more clear after I set my third course or so.

But do I have this right? There are 4 cuts per brick per course. The top and bottom cuts are shallow and allow the bricks to make the curved transition to the top of the dome. And the side cuts are steeper cuts which allow the bricks to make the transition laterally around the dome. All 4 types of cut taper from small toward the dome's interior to large toward the exterior. I seem to recall reading about a fifth cut but I can't think what that would accomplish.

Casey

Casey
      I only cut the sides of the bricks, not the top and bottom. I agree, that is what mortar is for. After the full brick is cut in half, it should take two cuts to each half brick. Russell has a much better setup for the saw than i used. I just used brick wedges and squares. If you have the time, a setup like Russells' will produce a better product as his oven is proof. I just simply set a half brick in the IT and let it rest on the course below and then used my hand to hold another half brick adjacent to that one in the IT and measured the gap at the bottom face and the bottom rear and split those measurements in half to get the approximate angle of both bevels. Using mine or Russell's setup will make both cuts at the same time and extend some blade time. Mind you, i wish i only cut each brick twice. Some took 3 times that many to get right. Once you have an IT in place, the angles start jumping out at you. Make sense? look at post #133 on my thread for my saw setup. Also, look Lburos 10 best thread.
      Tracy
      Last edited by texman; 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM. Reason: comment
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Casey,

Tracey is correct, both of us did not cut the top or bottom of the 1/2 brick. There is a thread out there where someone did a micro cut on the bottom to reduce the mortar gap on the back end but not commonly done. Here are a couple reference pics fromJCG31. I used his bevel/angle table to get me in the ball part but ultimately you have to tweek the angles as you go along. One tip, cut a few brick in each course then check angles, without fail the angles change due to mortar joints, brick dimension changes, etc. Tracey reference a new Excel calculator out there for doing taper and angle bevels. I have not used since it was done after I had finished but worth checking out.
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-10-2012, 01:05 PM. Reason: typo
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I - Absolutely - Love this forum. It's a place for folks who had no idea what they are doing but still knew they could get it done.

Thanks Tracy and Russell both.

My next post will most likely be a summary of my pre-build getting started research with a link to my oven build thread. I'll post a refractory materials list and the Kansas City supplier where I purchased materials. I'll also summarize the build links I plan to refer back to throughout the build so future builders can follow the process.

Tracy, did you get my PM re. reusing your IT?

Casey
          Last edited by Saggy; 10-11-2012, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Russell, sorry for remaining dense. I'm preparing for a big presentation next week so can't spend too much time studying builds.

Does the shape you posted alternate in the course from broad-face up to thin-face up? I still can't, for some reason, see how those blocks fit together.

Again, for those who read this thread later, i will summarize and point to my later build thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Saggy View Post
              I - Absolutely - Love this forum. It's a place for folks who had no idea what they are doing but still knew they could get it done.

Thanks Tracy and Russell both.

My next post will most likely be a summary of my pre-build getting started research with a link to my oven build thread. I'll post a refractory materials list and the Kansas City supplier where I purchased materials. I'll also summarize the build links I plan to refer back to throughout the build so future builders can follow the process.

Tracy, did you get my PM re. reusing your IT?

Casey
              Casey
              Yes i got your PM and replied, i think. But the IT is yours to have. Just send me the shipping cost once you get it. I will include the instruction manual of course and the written guarantee of a beautiful oven. If you don't get my PM, just send me another with your address and i will ship tomorrow. Once you have the IT and put a half brick in it, it think you will see how the cuts make the bricks fit together.
              Tracy
              Texman Kitchen
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Working...
              X