Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting my barrel vault

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    The only cracks I have are the ones I pre-engineered in the back and front of the oven. I fired my vault the next morning after laying up and every I time worked on it after, since it was cold out.
    A crack is a crack - I don't think they are a problem unless you are a plumber...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Well I burned the carbon off today . I was surprised at just how much wood that takes to accomplish The oven looks really nice now , not all nasty and sooty. Time to do some burns now so I can figure out timing , then on to making poolishes !!!
      My Oven Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/s...ult-18532.html

Comment

Originally posted by jim81147 View Post
        Well I burned the carbon off today . I was surprised at just how much wood that takes to accomplish The oven looks really nice now , not all nasty and sooty. Time to do some burns now so I can figure out timing , then on to making poolishes !!!
        The use of wood will tend to go down a little over time, I use less wood now to get my dome to clear than I originally did.

And the soot will return at the start of each firing.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Here are a couple more pics of my progress . Roofing and fascia board is supposed to arrive on wednesday.
          My Oven Build

Comment

here are a couple of the inside after my first full burn.
            My Oven Build

Comment

Hi, I am building a barrel vault similar to yours. I notice you did not use any buttressing on your build. I am having a very hard time as i dont know how I would use it. Does your vault has any buttressing?
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
              Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
              STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Gigahulk, here's a point you may want to consider. "The end walls of a barrel vault should be under the vault, not outside it." This is the general rule for kiln building, where temperatures are much higher and expansion is greater. The expanding vault has a tendency to push the end walls out and steel bracing is required to hold them in for kilns built this way. It is a bit more tricky to build the end walls first and then the vault over the top, but the result is better. The same applies for ovens although the problem is less because the temps are lower and thermal expansion is smaller.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Gigahulk, here's a point you may want to consider. "The end walls of a barrel vault should be under the vault, not outside it." This is the general rule for kiln building, where temperatures are much higher and expansion is greater. The expanding vault has a tendency to push the end walls out and steel bracing is required to hold them in for kilns built this way. It is a bit more tricky to build the end walls first and then the vault over the top, but the result is better. The same applies for ovens although the problem is less because the temps are lower and thermal expansion is smaller.
                  Thanks david, here is my idea. I am not sure what to do with the buttressing situation, I am just affraid it might not hold and its holding my build. The first 4 courses are straight up on the sides of the vault that a low arch. See picture below. Any ideas you can give me?
                  Best Regards...
                  Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

This may help you.
                    Many folk decide to build a barrel vault rather than a dome in the belief that the construction will be simpler. Because of the barrel vaults inherent instability and problems to correct this, it turns out to be more complex. The only advantage a barrel vault has over a dome is its interior form which makes it more suitable for cooking large batches of bread.Other disadvantages are poorer circulation leading to cool spots, though this is more of a problem in a kiln than an oven.
                    Last edited by david s; 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM.

Comment

This may help you.
                      Yes, this helps. and its what I thought of doing however this will raise my mass on the side walls which is something I did not want to do. Any other way you can think of?
                      Best Regards...
                      Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

This may help you.
                        Many folk decide to build a barrel vault rather than a dome in the belief that the construction will be simpler. Because of the barrel vaults inherent instability and problems to correct this, it turns out to be more complex. The only advantage a barrel vault has over a dome is its interior form which makes it more suitable for cooking large batches of bread.
                        Actually the iron is a good idea. But will that withstand the heat from the firebricks? Won't the iron get too hot?
                        Best Regards...
                        Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
                          Actually the iron is a good idea. But will that withstand the heat from the firebricks? Won't the iron get too hot?
                          No, the bracing is outside the bricks. With an oven the problem is that steel bracing would be covered with insulation making any adjustment at the nuts difficult.
                          Better to build the vault over the end walls and buttress, but skip the bracing IMO

Comment

Better to build the vault over the end walls and buttress, but skip the bracing IMO
                            But the only way to do that is increasing my mass on the side walls right? Which is something i am trying to avoid
                            Best Regards...
                            Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
                              But the only way to do that is increasing my mass on the side walls right? Which is something i am trying to avoid
                              Not really, I braced mine with insulating board then welded steel bracing around it.

Take a look:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/43/t...s-19037-2.html

Hope that helps.

Comment

Another alternative is to use insulating fire brick to buttress the walls.

Comment

Working...
                                X