Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different kind of foundation. Am I crazy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Different kind of foundation. Am I crazy?

Mr Virginia...LOL No worries the foundation is sound. I build stuff also...I even have a license that allows me to build in Virginia.

Please don't get me started about engineering and engineers. You should see the "engineered" plans that cross my desk. Enough said!

Comment

ronwass love the mock up.....think it needs some eyes and nose

I did a mock up of my 1st oven dome with scrap steel garden edging.....was mainly because I just had no idea on the dome arch sizing I wanted
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by ronwass View Post
        Thanks so much for the advice.

Well here's a picture of my lame mock-up so the wife could see what a giant oven looked like in the yard.

Created it in a matter of minutes with stuff lying around in my garage. Fastest oven build here I'll bet. Least functional oven though.
        That is Hilarious:O)

Comment

Check this build if you are thinking about a wood/timber foundation.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/2/my...tml#post118667
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ned Kelly lives!! Giddy up
            "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
            The Pirate Captain

Comment

My first hole just about ready for concrete. This is 3 feet deep. (frost line according to local building inspector)
              It's about 12 inches wide at the bottom. Faith said 18 needed, but that was when I was going to build a taller stand that I am now. (I'm not going 18 inches higher than normal to cook from my deck)

I am going to put in about 6 inches of concrete.

My questions, specifically for Faith and silvfox:

Do I need any gravel at the bottom below the concrete?

Also, I am putting the post on top of the cured concrete. Not immersed in the concrete. Correct?

Ron

Comment

Don't need gravel. Height is not the factor for the 18". It's the total weight of the oven.

so I would widen the holes to get you more square inches of support.

I would put 6" at the bottom of the hole and let it harden (Just enough till to posts don't go in the concrete) before you place your posts.

As you build your base don't fill in the holes until you have the base built and in proper location and have it bolted to your deck. This allows you to adjust the position on top of those footers if needed. Once in place and plumbed and leveled I would put some concrete in the hole around the posts...don't need much, then back fill with dirt.
                Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 04-19-2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Cool! Will do. Then three more holes afterwards.

Many thanks for the expert advice.

PS: Does anything change if I don't have stand bolted next to deck, and it is free standing a few feet away as I am thinking now?

Comment

Perhaps. The deck will add stability to the oven stand. After you build the stand and fill in the holes and put on the concrete slab on top, check to see if you have ANY movement when pushed against hard. Shake it like your trying to get that one apple out of the tree.

If your sturdy like a rock you should be fine. If you have motion you will need to add more cross support ( I think slvfox had a good description)

Comment

Ron, If your concrete pad is below the frost line you don't need gravel beneath it but it won't hurt especially if your in heavy soil, clay. Set the post on top of concrete after it has set. You'll be fine with 12" width if you take Faith's good suggestion and add more concrete around the post. Unless the ground is really dry just dump in a couple of bags of premix. It will suck enough moisture out of the ground to set.
                      P.S. We go four feet below grade here.
                      Last edited by silvfox; 04-20-2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Thank you both again for the great timely advice. Much appreciated. One hole gave me enough hand blisters to want to rent a machine for the other 3. I'm a musician, so blisters are sometimes more than an annoyance. Luckily no gigs for another week or so.

Comment

Try using leather gloves...they can really help prevent the blisters.

What kind of musician? Are you a rock and roll star or a symphony type?

I'm a big fan of old time Bluegrass but I listen to most everything.

Comment

Symphony type, but I dabble in everything. Thanks for asking. Blisters burned right through my gloves. Gonna rent a power auger for the rest of the holes.

Comment

Youll get little Symphony for the blisters around here.......
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Well if you got blisters with gloves then I suggest when you get that auger you get a large friend to hold the other side. If you hit a rock that thing can twist you up. Be careful!

My grandfather was in a symphony when he was young. I don't know where or which one. But I do have his violin and the local shop says it's a real nice one.

Al, I have no symphony for bad puns. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X