X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

All fired up and ready to go.. Having a few friends over tonight and will bake off a few pies tonight. Will post some pics later tonight. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    Yes you have certainly built yourself an oven there! And it has evolved over time to be unique yours. I like the lines of the entrance myself I think it ties the slab and dome into the base without the dome looking like it was plonked on a square box. I know it wasn't planned that way, but what the heck I bet you there are a lot of ovens out there that have evolved into to something different than was planned.
    So you have a bit of twecking to do with oven. I suppose that was expected. I lot (myself included) have pushed forward to get or ovens to function. (And probably have had a good women behind them reminding of the time taken to get to pizza!) So, at that time you go back and change a few things. I was glad to finally get my ovens finish looking nice and in my case it didn't lave good lines like yours it was just plane ugly!
    Anyway Congrates!!!! an I hope you continue to post you progress to the full outdoor kitchen
    Regards Dave
    Hi Dave, looking forward to your ideas for finishing out the build. At this point I think I will see what the final color the dome takes as it dries and how the oven performs after more fires. I'm not sure how much of a full kitchen I can work into the space. It is at the end of my driveway and across from the garage. I do hope to work in my green egg bbq and some kind of over roof. In about two weeks I'm going to head west on a road trip (on my own) back to Santa Fe for a three day boot camp cooking class. The learning continues.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Yes you did accomplish quite a feat. Congrats on your drive and tenacity to finish the WFO, enjoy the good eats!!
    Thanks, I am enjoying finding ways to use residual heat. I pulled out a Southwestern Lentil Stew I threw together and cooked with the oven in the 250's. Will fire up Friday for a pizza party with a few friends.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Thanks Dave, I'm sure I will be giving the oven a workout. Thinking back on your post regarding color changes as the cement cures. I'm curious, it seems to me if the mix is going from grey to white and the added pigment is terra cotta (an orange shade to me), wouldn't the color change be in that direction?

Anyway, at some level it feels like I've accomplished my main goal of building a functional oven. I still need to work on the landing and want to redo my insulated door to thermally isolate the face. I also want to design a roof structure to provide some protection from rain and to give some shade. I will contract that construction out. Still, I am enjoying just going out and looking at the oven.
    Gudday Bruce
    Yes you have certainly built yourself an oven there! And it has evolved over time to be unique yours. I like the lines of the entrance myself I think it ties the slab and dome into the base without the dome looking like it was plonked on a square box. I know it wasn't planned that way, but what the heck I bet you there are a lot of ovens out there that have evolved into to something different than was planned.
    So you have a bit of twecking to do with oven. I suppose that was expected. I lot (myself included) have pushed forward to get or ovens to function. (And probably have had a good women behind them reminding of the time taken to get to pizza!) So, at that time you go back and change a few things. I was glad to finally get my ovens finish looking nice and in my case it didn't lave good lines like yours it was just plane ugly!
    Anyway Congrates!!!! an I hope you continue to post you progress to the full outdoor kitchen
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Yes you did accomplish quite a feat. Congrats on your drive and tenacity to finish the WFO, enjoy the good eats!!

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Thanks Dave, I'm sure I will be giving the oven a workout. Thinking back on your post regarding color changes as the cement cures. I'm curious, it seems to me if the mix is going from grey to white and the added pigment is terra cotta (an orange shade to me), wouldn't the color change be in that direction?

Anyway, at some level it feels like I've accomplished my main goal of building a functional oven. I still need to work on the landing and want to redo my insulated door to thermally isolate the face. I also want to design a roof structure to provide some protection from rain and to give some shade. I will contract that construction out. Still, I am enjoying just going out and looking at the oven.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

The oven started out about 500 F this am. I started with biscuits while bread and cibatia were proofing. Came out tender with a good rise. Temps were just under 500 for breads.

As can be seen in the pics, there was relatively little browning to the tops. My dome ended up at 19" which is a bit high. Any suggestions or is this likely to change as oven breaks in. There did not appear to be any vapor coming out of the vent. The oven did seem to take longer to clear the dome this time then it did before the stucco. It would seem likely that the insulation would draw some moisture from the stucco application. Could this be affecting performance?
    Gudday Bruce
    I would say you oven has taken up some of the moisture from the stucco layer for sure. The ovens curings been done so its just a case of firing it till it leaves. It's a bit frustrating when you have a wet oven but it will happen from time to time. Just keep firing it and you'll find that 3 hours to clear the dome will drop dramatically to an hour and 1/2 all of a sudden. That persistent black of the dome will disappear as well . Till then just use it and cook to you hearts content and don't worry it will dry.
    As for a high dome ...mines 18 inch so what difference is an inch going to make.
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 08-06-2013, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

The oven started out about 500 F this am. I started with biscuits while bread and cibatia were proofing. Came out tender with a good rise. Temps were just under 500 for breads.

As can be seen in the pics, there was relatively little browning to the tops. My dome ended up at 19" which is a bit high. Any suggestions or is this likely to change as oven breaks in. There did not appear to be any vapor coming out of the vent. The oven did seem to take longer to clear the dome this time then it did before the stucco. It would seem likely that the insulation would draw some moisture from the stucco application. Could this be affecting performance?

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Put skillet back in fire to heat for blackened salmon and finally moved on to a few pizzas. Overall everything came but there is room for improvement.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Took nearly three hours to clear the dome. I decided to roast some peppers and onions. I put them directly on the floor, but oven was not hot enough. I looked through my bbq equipment and saw my grill basket. I put the veggies in the basket and cooked directly on the fire. Worked really well. Next up was roasted mushrooms cooked in a cast iron skillet per recipes on this site.
    Last edited by Bec1208; 08-05-2013, 10:49 PM. Reason: Removed photo

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Do I recon the orange colour will emerge. It's hard to discribed colour with words as we all interpret with what our brains process differently. At the moment it will take a month at least for that portland cement component to lighten up as it fully cures. Like new cement works it will lighten up to nearly white. The Portland being grey at the moment accents the red tones. If you want a more vibrant red you use grey as a base coat. I suspect you'll find as the red diminishes the yellow tones will come out. If you did go over the base with exactly the mortar you would probably find it would darker and have more red tones due to the grey mortar base coat of colour.
    Yes I did have a closer look at the vent. Can't see exactly what you have done but it doesn't look at all like a plumbing fixture now. Bet you will get a few questions on that. The evil Dave would tell people it was the pressure release valve so the oven wont explode... That will raise a couple of eyebrows I'm sure
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday
    Well that is a lot different than I ever thought. Definitely not a mocha colour at all and no chocolate tone at all . The cement will be still going off over the next month so I would suspect the colour will end up lighter than it is now.
    I noticed a black cable appearing in different pics at the right side of the oven. It didnt disappear at any clean up. Is that a temperature probe?
    Regards dave
    Yes, I have some thermocouples embedded in the floor and dome. I think they will help in learning to manage the oven.

As to color, I expect it will lighten. Wonder if any of the orange tint will emerge.

Dave, did you notice the vent cap?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Okay, the canopy is off and the chimney is back on. Here are a few pics of the oven and one trying to show the stucco color.
    Gudday
    Well that is a lot different than I ever thought. Definitely not a mocha colour at all and no chocolate tone at all . The cement will be still going off over the next month so I would suspect the colour will end up lighter than it is now.
    I noticed a black cable appearing in different pics at the right side of the oven. It didnt disappear at any clean up. Is that a temperature probe?
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Okay, the canopy is off and the chimney is back on. Here are a few pics of the oven and one trying to show the stucco color.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I have had it on my mind all day on how I had missed the fact you had used a colour in you stucco. Yes you have a coloured cover and the stuccos wet and that has throw me a little. The Internet might be somewhat to blame. But still !
    Anyway I work with colour , I talk about it in emotional terms to girls every day. But. And this is the big But.
    17 per cent of all males are colour blind. That's roughly 1 in 5. Female are are about point 2 per cent. The girls talk about colour among themselves in emotional terms .... The blokes dress in browns and blue ... Cause they can't muck it up.
    Getting a grey base and a mocca brown to match together is going to take a bit of a trick. And a we must bow to a greater power than you and I , the Wife,the minister of War Finance and all things that remain in our surrounds.
    This is the colour palette I suggest.
    [ATTACH]37805[/ATTACH]
    Now if course it's lost something on the Internet and that covers has infused the colours with the red tones. But you should get the idea.
    A darker tone the dome , a match to the dome , lead to a match to the grey of the base and if you up to it a lighter tint of the base , or a colour to match the firebrick entrance . All in small tiles sitting on the base at the bottom of the dome.
    Anyway this is my take on things ... It might be a cultural thing ... You might have other thoughts .... But we both know ultimately we will have to be guided by She Who Must Be Obeyed , and well that's a good thing
    Regards dave
    Just realized my reply never posted (must of pressed preview instead of submit). We were able to apply what I hope is the final coat of stucco. We will take off the canopy and I will take some pics that should show the color more accurately. Keep in mind that the stucco color will probably change a bit as the cement dries over the next few days.

As usual Dave, you are staying a few steps ahead. I hadn't really thought of the color match with the dome now that the terra cotta color no longer applies. Let's see what color we end up with and then look at options. Seems like we can really open up the possibilities if painting or adding veneer to stand are considered. Please keep sharing your ideas and I will pass them on to the boss.

Anyway, I will fire it up today. Plan to do a couple quick pizzas and try some blackened salmon in a cast iron skillet today and maybe some ciabatta tomorrow. Planning to have some friends over for pizza on friday. Bruce

Leave a comment:

Working...
X