• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday
    On secound thoughts ..... Thrown the rules to hell ... You live in the sub tropics ...do what you can with colour.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	993.0 KB
ID:	296452
    This is my back ( and front door step)
    Go red ..... No Scarlett
    Regards
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I have had it on my mind all day on how I had missed the fact you had used a colour in you stucco. Yes you have a coloured cover and the stuccos wet and that has throw me a little. The Internet might be somewhat to blame. But still !
    Anyway I work with colour , I talk about it in emotional terms to girls every day. But. And this is the big But.
    17 per cent of all males are colour blind. That's roughly 1 in 5. Female are are about point 2 per cent. The girls talk about colour among themselves in emotional terms .... The blokes dress in browns and blue ... Cause they can't muck it up.
    Getting a grey base and a mocca brown to match together is going to take a bit of a trick. And a we must bow to a greater power than you and I , the Wife,the minister of War Finance and all things that remain in our surrounds.
    This is the colour palette I suggest.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	603.4 KB
ID:	296451
    Now if course it's lost something on the Internet and that covers has infused the colours with the red tones. But you should get the idea.
    A darker tone the dome , a match to the dome , lead to a match to the grey of the base and if you up to it a lighter tint of the base , or a colour to match the firebrick entrance . All in small tiles sitting on the base at the bottom of the dome.
    Anyway this is my take on things ... It might be a cultural thing ... You might have other thoughts .... But we both know ultimately we will have to be guided by She Who Must Be Obeyed , and well that's a good thing
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Its looking good Bruce.....
    Thanks Al, I appreciate the comment. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Its looking good Bruce.....

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Added another layer today. Here is pic of my assistant and of the dome. Should have dome finished in a day or two.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    I have been using Surface Bonding Cement mixed with a Silka fortifier (1:3 with water) to increase waterproofing. I also have been adding some Terra Cotta liquid cement color. I was originally trying for a light shade of terra cotta but with the grey cement mix it dried to a mocha color. We decided we liked the color and decided to go with it. Not sure what the finish coat would be. What is used for that?
    Gudday Bruce
    No you don't need a top coat over that if you already have the colour in the stucco. And anything silka is always good stuff. I'm sorry I didn't pick it before but I had put it down to a dark sand and the colour reflecting of the overhead cover. If be interested to see the effect when it wheathers off in the sun it should look natural and earthy and take away the starkness of concrete look.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• kanoer54
    replied

Bruce,
    Yes, I have been working on a wfo for the last couple weeks. i am ready to top out the front arch and set the clay tile flue. i have posted some pics but need to post a couple more again.

Your trip out west sounds nice. Nothing like keeping the cooking skills honed. Keep us posted and send pics please.
    jon

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    Once dry I don't know what finish you have planned but if I could suggest go a matt. A shiney finish will only show up any imperfections matt finish will solften and leave less stark effect. And I not saying anything against you stucco skills any cement work will always be a bit stark.
    Waiting for the recipes
    Regards dave
    I have been using Surface Bonding Cement mixed with a Silka fortifier (1:3 with water) to increase waterproofing. I also have been adding some Terra Cotta liquid cement color. I was originally trying for a light shade of terra cotta but with the grey cement mix it dried to a mocha color. We decided we liked the color and decided to go with it. Not sure what the finish coat would be. What is used for that?

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I second Dave on the curing, You've got a vent .
    Dave and Gulf, thanks. I'm looking forward to being able to fire up again.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

I second Dave on the curing, You've got a vent .

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Actually, the bar might be a bit higher for that one. Bruce
    ......and you wouldn't figure how to pole vault a wheel chair!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Finished applying next coat of mortar. The entire dome has at least one coat and most of it has two coats. Still curious how long after the last coat I can fire up the oven. Thanks, Bruce
    Gudday Bruce
    From you a accounts your oven is cured and all you have done is introduce some moisture to the outer layers. If it were me I'd be firing it up at the first chance that ill get that water moving. The vent will be a big help too but you'll find the heat takes a long time to get through the brick and insulation I'm talking days so keep the vent open and watch the wheather.
    Once dry I don't know what finish you have planned but if I could suggest go a matt. A shiney finish will only show up any imperfections matt finish will solften and leave less stark effect. And I not saying anything against you stucco skills any cement work will always be a bit stark.
    Waiting for the recipes
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Are you planning to build a WFO? If nothing else my build illustrates how low the bar is when it comes to experience, skills, and physical ability. Bruce
    Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Bruce I think you forgot.... determination .....
    Regards dave
    Actually, the bar might be a bit higher for that one. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Thanks for the comments. I think I will be kept pretty occupied just learning to manage the oven and expanding my skills. I am planning a trip by myself back to Santa Fe, NM toward the last half of August. I am signed up for a 3 day cooking school boot camp that starts on the 26th. I plan to drive and haven't planned out the route but expect to take about three weeks in all.

Are you planning to build a WFO? If nothing else my build illustrates how low the bar is when it comes to experience, skills, and physical ability. Bruce
    Gudday
    Bruce I think you forgot.... determination .....
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Finished applying next coat of mortar. The entire dome has at least one coat and most of it has two coats. Still curious how long after the last coat I can fire up the oven. Thanks, Bruce

Leave a comment:

Working...
X