• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
    bruce,
    i have been following your build and your trip out west but have pretty much stayed in the background because i am still trying to learn from the others on the forum. i just want to tell you i really respect and admire your determination. your build is awesome and now you are reaping the rewards of all your hard work. you are almost at the finish line. do you have another project in mind as cool as your WFO?

jon
    Thanks for the comments. I think I will be kept pretty occupied just learning to manage the oven and expanding my skills. I am planning a trip by myself back to Santa Fe, NM toward the last half of August. I am signed up for a 3 day cooking school boot camp that starts on the 26th. I plan to drive and haven't planned out the route but expect to take about three weeks in all.

Are you planning to build a WFO? If nothing else my build illustrates how low the bar is when it comes to experience, skills, and physical ability. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• kanoer54
    replied

bruce,
    i have been following your build and your trip out west but have pretty much stayed in the background because i am still trying to learn from the others on the forum. i just want to tell you i really respect and admire your determination. your build is awesome and now you are reaping the rewards of all your hard work. you are almost at the finish line. do you have another project in mind as cool as your WFO?

jon

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Dave, thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and hacksawed the vent. At the rate we're going the last coat of stucco should be Sunday. Will the oven need to be dried out and go through the curing process? Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    You have got a good round shape alright. A couple of things that might help.
    Pull out that trowel, your not finished with it yet. Use the edge to cut the lip off that develops at the bottom for a more difined shape. At the finish of the coats wait till the stucco sets a bit and again use the edge and cut some cross hatching in the surface so the next coat keys to the first. And finally use the flat of the trowel to pat down the last coat for a more uniform finish. if it becomes a little too smooth in parts a final rub over with a damp sponge will give a uniform finish that not to shiny.
    Again don't play with the stucco layer too early let them set a little otherwise the coat can slump off the dome.
    regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Don't sweat it Bruce, I described best practice and what you did isn't too bad. You can brush some liquid bonding agent ( like an acrylic admix) onto it before you start your next parge.
    Took another run at it. This time I enlisted my wife's help. It went much better with her scooping the stucco onto my board. Nonetheless, we ran out of mortar before we could finish coating the whole dome. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Don't sweat it Bruce, I described best practice and what you did isn't too bad. You can brush some liquid bonding agent ( like an acrylic admix) onto it before you start your next parge.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    You really shouldnt stucco in sections because that creates weak points and the layer will crack...think of it like a control joint in concrete flatwork. If its easier do several thin coats.
    Stonecutter, I tried and I couldn't do it. This is as far as I could get.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    I went with a 3" fitting. I thought plug would be easier to handle and did not see a down side.
    Gudday
    Why don't you take a hacksaw to it,is there anything to stop you making it shorter? And use what you have got then
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Wow Bruce,
    Just caught up on reading your about build. Job well done, very impressed. Hope your enjoying the fruits of your labor. You have left me in the your dust............that ok I'm happy for ya
    Thanks, it helps not having a day job (or night job),

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday gulf
    Yes mines a 1 in fitting as well . I recon the chicken wire has thrown my perspective. How big is that thing anyway
    Regards dave
    I went with a 3" fitting. I thought plug would be easier to handle and did not see a down side.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    I had intended to use a 2" fitting to begin with. I decided later to use a 1". This is what mine looks like recessesd.

Edit: It is a 2"+ (beer can size) from the blanket insulation through the vermicrete layer. The space left by the beer can form is also packed with CF blanket material. My threaded 1" PVC fitting is anchored into the stucco layer and also the grout for the brick splits.
    Gudday gulf
    Yes mines a 1 in fitting as well . I recon the chicken wire has thrown my perspective. How big is that thing anyway
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I can't see why you can't recess that in , in the scene of things that will not make a difference. I a bit confused with the size of that thing , its not a fitting that I'm familiar with and its hard to gauge it size by the background.
    Good stucco ing remember its like painting the first layer is just there for the next to stick too. It doesn't have to perfect. The next are the best ones. 3 thin coats are better than two thick coats .....any day.
    Regards dave
    I had intended to use a 2" fitting to begin with. I decided later to use a 1". This is what mine looks like recessesd.

Edit: It is a 2"+ (beer can size) from the blanket insulation through the vermicrete layer. The space left by the beer can form is also packed with CF blanket material. My threaded 1" PVC fitting is anchored into the stucco layer and also the grout for the brick splits.
    Last edited by Gulf; 07-29-2013, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I can't see why you can't recess that in , in the scene of things that will not make a difference. I a bit confused with the size of that thing , its not a fitting that I'm familiar with and its hard to gauge it size by the background.
    Good stucco ing remember its like painting the first layer is just there for the next to stick too. It doesn't have to perfect. The next are the best ones. 3 thin coats are better than two thick coats .....any day.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Wow Bruce,
    Just caught up on reading your about build. Job well done, very impressed. Hope your enjoying the fruits of your labor. You have left me in the your dust............that ok I'm happy for ya

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce

That looks like a great dome vent the wires a good idea. If I could just add a last suggestion. Roll up a tube of cereal box grade cardboard and poke it in the bottom long enough to get into the insulation layer. It will prevent any stray bit of stucco from blocking it and survive long enough for the stucco to set. It will be moist at that stage and easy to remove.
    You then go to the skills suite list and tick the box along side "cement casting" ...only joking.
    Regards dave
    Dave you got me to thinking, any reason not to lower the vent a few inches into the insulation? It measures 7" thick at the top. This would lower the profile of the vent and I don't think have much effect on heat retention. I like the idea of the cardboard, thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Way to go Bruce, your hard work paid off!
    Thanks Russell, hard to believe its almost done. Assuming the igloo looks okay, I would like to put some kind of roof structure that will cover the oven and the green egg while extending far enough forward to provide some shade and shelter while cooking or grilling.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

Working...
X