• Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Money well spent, Bruce.
    Gudday
    I agree ..... Will be perfect cover over a fold up table for your outdoor kitchen
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Money well spent, Bruce.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Heavy rains today. Finally gave in and bought a pop-up canopy. It was on sale for $45.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Thanks! Looks good. I haven't tried with fig slices like that before. I will have to fire one up this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I was kinda hoping for a picture of that fig pizza when it came out of the oven!
    Here's the best I have.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I was kinda hoping for a picture of that fig pizza when it came out of the oven!

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    Kinda guessed that you would make something. That pan pizza looks pretty good I must say. I can't agree more with that Greenman on how forlorn the oven looks in the rain with its blue overcoat. Why don't you post it to the top of the forum page it certainly deserves to be there ..shame you can't give it a caption determination sounds good.
    Good to see you making progress ... Even with the wheather .. Your lawns looking good
    Regards dave
    Well cleared the dome today. Made a fig and blue cheese pizza and a loaf of bread. I need to finish up chimney and get ready to render the dome. Haven't noticed any cracks but will take pics of inside tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Kinda guessed that you would make something. That pan pizza looks pretty good I must say. I can't agree more with that Greenman on how forlorn the oven looks in the rain with its blue overcoat. Why don't you post it to the top of the forum page it certainly deserves to be there ..shame you can't give it a caption determination sounds good.
    Good to see you making progress ... Even with the wheather .. Your lawns looking good
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    Hey Bruce - The pic with the tarp on the oven is worth a thousand words alright! Should use it for a caption competition.

There are only a couple of categories of self built pizza - 'excellent' and 'thats not so bad'. I think we become our own harshest critics.
    That's true for both "self built" pizza and WFO's. In this particular case the main problem was in the kitchen. I have been playing around with different styles and was trying to do a variation on Detroit style. Used too much cheddar and lost the balance of flavors. I am certainly my harshest critic (though my friends are catching up as they raise their standards from chain pizzas). I look at each cook as an opportunity to improve.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Hey Bruce - The pic with the tarp on the oven is worth a thousand words alright! Should use it for a caption competition.

There are only a couple of categories of self built pizza - 'excellent' and 'thats not so bad'. I think we become our own harshest critics.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    On to the first fires ...excellent! Could I suggest using charcoal heat beads for your first fires. You know the ones they use in BBqs. You get a good heat that doesn't involve a heap of flame overheating your roof at the early stages. There easy to regulate just add more or less beads. And the best thing is they burn for hours, small fires need heaps of tending.
    Hope this helps
    Regards dave
    Didn't take much encouragement. The fire got a little hot and I had a few lbs of dough in the fridge. So I did a quick pan pizza. Not my best effort but I'm learning. Needed more heat from the dome. Worse storm came up and had to recover in a hurry. Discovered tarps melt pretty easy.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Thanks Dave, that's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't something else I needed to put on the "to do" list during the curing process.
    Gudday
    There certainly is . Don't forget to put some food in that thing. You may not be up to pizza temps yet but perfectly good baking temps. So why not enjoy some food from your oven even some bread is possible at some stage
    Regards dave
    PS yes you can still bake with flames present that's what they made aluminum foil for
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-22-2013, 03:38 AM. Reason: PS

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Stucco directly over the wire . Where you see folk adding a layer of pearlite cement its to get the lumps and bumps out of the ceramic layer which you have already done. It looks pretty round from the pics. Wouldn't do it now you'll only trap any moisture being forced out by the curing fires.
    Regards dave
    Thanks Dave, that's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't something else I needed to put on the "to do" list during the curing process.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Thanks Dave, will give it a try. Depending on temps I may toss some kindling in as well. Quick question on covering dome insulation. I covered the dome with chicken wire (1" hex pattern). Can I stucco directly over this?
    Gudday Bruce
    Stucco directly over the wire . Where you see folk adding a layer of pearlite cement its to get the lumps and bumps out of the ceramic layer which you have already done. It looks pretty round from the pics. Wouldn't do it now you'll only trap any moisture being forced out by the curing fires.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    On to the first fires ...excellent! Could I suggest using charcoal heat beads for your first fires. You know the ones they use in BBqs. You get a good heat that doesn't involve a heap of flame overheating your roof at the early stages. There easy to regulate just add more or less beads. And the best thing is they burn for hours, small fires need heaps of tending.
    Hope this helps
    Regards dave
    Thanks Dave, will give it a try. Depending on temps I may toss some kindling in as well. Quick question on covering dome insulation. I covered the dome with chicken wire (1" hex pattern). Can I stucco directly over this?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X