• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Thanks Mike, I look forward to trying this soon.

Finished applying slurry, hasn't fully set yet. First pic is the left side of the oven and the second is an attempt to get a better picture of the smoke chamber.

Looks like rain in the forecast tomorrow so I may not be able to resume curing the oven. Hope to be cooking shortly. Bruce
    Gudday Bruce
    On to the first fires ...excellent! Could I suggest using charcoal heat beads for your first fires. You know the ones they use in BBqs. You get a good heat that doesn't involve a heap of flame overheating your roof at the early stages. There easy to regulate just add more or less beads. And the best thing is they burn for hours, small fires need heaps of tending.
    Hope this helps
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Oh, that is a nice pizza. I like to add a little arugula on top. FYI - Trader Joes sells a balsamic reduction in a squeeze bottle, if you have that chain in your area.
    My wife is nuts about trader joes. There is one a little over an hour away...nothing like that around here in hicksville. The good woman is quite the chef, and makes that reduction no problem.

We make an arugula white pizza that is oil and garlic based with shaved parmesan. When that comes out of the oven it gets topped with arugula and prosciutto.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Thanks Mike, I look forward to trying this soon.

Finished applying slurry, hasn't fully set yet. First pic is the left side of the oven and the second is an attempt to get a better picture of the smoke chamber.

Looks like rain in the forecast tomorrow so I may not be able to resume curing the oven. Hope to be cooking shortly. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied

Salmon sounds great. Can you describe the technique (temp, fire, ect...) Thanks, Bruce
    Soak a cedar plank (generally 1/4" thick) for several hours then put it on a half-sheet pan.

Bring the oven into the 400F-450F range and keep a small fire going in the back or on one side with a hardwood of your choice...I like apple wood. Remember that the hearth has to be at temp as well because you are heating up the board and generating cedar infused steam to cook the fish from below.

Cover the plank with a layer of green onions and/or dill. Lay a filet of salmon, skin side down on the greenery. Put another layer of onions/dill on top of the salmon (thicker layer over the thinner portions of the filet to help even out the bake time) and slide into the oven. (Sorry, but I didn't note the weight of the salmon filet, however it was intended as dinner for four adults + good leftovers and was about 1"-1 1/2" thick in the middle). Damp down the door enough to keep the fire going but enough to allow some extra heat build-up. Our filet was done in 25-30 minutes, but you want to check it a couple of times possibly turning the sheet pan to manage the cooking...

When it came out of the oven, we let it rest for 10 minutes and then I removed the top greens. Last, I drizzled the filet with the citrus balsamic cream before cutting it into the serving pieces. I checked, but apparently my hunger overtook my photographer and I don't have any pictures...
    Last edited by SableSprings; 07-20-2013, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
    If you find yourself in a Canadian store look for balsamic cream. It's fabulous! When we're in Canada and ask for balsamic reduction normally they don't know what it is...the same is true when you're in the states and ask for balsamic cream. As far as I can tell they are the same product, just that potato/potatoe thing I guess. We picked up a white citrus flavored balsamic cream in Vancouver B.C. and used it as a "drizzle finish" on a cedar planked salmon from the WFO...really nice. Also worked well with lobster tails and shrimp from the Tuscan grill in the oven.
    Salmon sounds great. Can you describe the technique (temp, fire, ect...) Thanks, Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Oh, that is a nice pizza. I like to add a little arugula on top. FYI - Trader Joes sells a balsamic reduction in a squeeze bottle, if you have that chain in your area.
    They are in the midst of building their first store. Should be opening in a few months. Thanks for the tip.

Well I have 3 coats of slurry applied now. I added a small amount of terracotta cement color because I thought it would blend better than grey.

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied

If you find yourself in a Canadian store look for balsamic cream. It's fabulous! When we're in Canada and ask for balsamic reduction normally they don't know what it is...the same is true when you're in the states and ask for balsamic cream. As far as I can tell they are the same product, just that potato/potatoe thing I guess. We picked up a white citrus flavored balsamic cream in Vancouver B.C. and used it as a "drizzle finish" on a cedar planked salmon from the WFO...really nice. Also worked well with lobster tails and shrimp from the Tuscan grill in the oven.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I have a fig tree too. We make a pizza with green figs, blue cheese and prosciutto.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Sika makes excellent products.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Well, sort of. My wife makes a balsamic reduction...no red sauce on this one, but we do put just a little mutz on there, more for texture.
    Like the idea of the reduction, will have to try. Ended up at Home Depot and picked this one up.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Well, sort of. My wife makes a balsamic reduction...no red sauce on this one, but we do put just a little mutz on there, more for texture.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

I have a fig tree too. We make a pizza with green figs, blue cheese and prosciutto.

Gives you an idea what to use those figs for...I'm assuming you need to trim back the tree for chimney clearance...but maybe that's a depth misperception
    Yes, it is overhanging. There's a bumper crop coming in right now thanks for the topping idea. Do you put a sauce on the fig pizza?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Gives you an idea what to use those figs for...I'm assuming you need to trim back the tree for chimney clearance...but maybe that's a depth misperception

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Oops...no 9:1 was the dilution ratio..9 parts water, 1 part acrylic.

That quickcete brand is different than what I have, just cut it by 50% and that will be fine.

As far as what quantity of opc to add..it's not critical. If you make the slurry like a milkshake, you're good. You just want to make sure there is enough porty to coat the insulation.
    Thanks, should be able to try out this afternoon. I finished up the smoke chamber yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Lowes has QUIKRETE Concrete Acrylic Fortifier (Shop QUIKRETE 2 lbs Concrete Acrylic Fortifier at Lowes.com). Is this correct?

Also, I understood your instruction to be a mix of opc and acrylic (no water). Just checking. Is the 9:1 ratio 9 parts opc to 1 part diluted acrylic?
    Oops...no 9:1 was the dilution ratio of the liquid..9 parts water, 1 part acrylic.

That quickcete brand is different than what I have, just cut it by 50% and that will be fine.

As far as what quantity of opc to add..it's not critical. If you make the slurry like a milkshake, you're good. You just want to make sure there is enough porty to coat the insulation. If it is stiffening up just add a splash of cool water

Leave a comment:

Working...
X