X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Personally, I would'nt go any further until you address the insulation showing at the back of the entry arch. You don't want those nasty fibers getting anywhere near anything you are going to eat.

You could peel back the insulation around the entry arch where it is showing, and apply some mortar from the outside of the oven to fill that gap. Give it a good coating so that the mortar has a "T" shape fill in the gap, with the wide part on the outside - and the bottom leg protrudes through the gap. Then cut off the snots on the inside. If you try to fill it from the inside, I fear it is just going to fall out when you fire the oven as the mortar shrinks and has nothing to stick to.

If you are using it for a heat break, then it seems a bit wide and the insulation seems too directly exposed
    Last edited by deejayoh; 07-18-2013, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

I had a small fire going through most of yesterday. Temps ranged from about 200 to 250. Smoke drew through the smoke chamber nicely. I also worked on rounding the dome. Is there anything else I need to do to prepare for stucco? Any comments appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    Thinking about it .... What product did you use when you " keyed" you base together? Would this be suitable to render over your insulation on the dome?
    Regards dave
    I used quickrete surface bonding cement. It is reinforced with fiberglass and I believe can be used for render. It appears to be pretty tough stuff once it cures.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Now that looks better and better everyday. I can almost smell the bread baking!
    I noticed that you have a thermal break between the entranceway and dome and its full of insulation. That's good but the bare surface of the insulation not so good . Those fibres have to be sealed in you can't leave them open to the air. You can fill with a piece of metal tube or channel but that could be hard to shape and get the correct dimension. You also could fill with a pearlite cement mix ...Anyway that's your thoughts on it ...has anyone else any ideas
    Hi Dave,

If you look closely at the image below you can see the exposed insulation is actually an 1/8" thick woven fiberglass seal. My initial idea was to apply a coating of the refractory mortar to seal it off, but I will wait a few days and see what other ideas emerge.

Whilst I asking what are you finishing the dome with ( notice I didn't us the term plan either)
    Regards dave
    Dave, you certainly have me pegged. You're right, I don't have a scheme, program, or method worked out beforehand for the accomplishment of completing the oven. I plan (there I said it) to start curing the oven per your previous suggestion and round out the dome. I will stucco the dome and waterproof adding a vent to the top. Eventually I would like to get some kind of roof over it. Remain open to suggestions. Thanks again, bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Thinking about it .... What product did you use when you " keyed" you base together? Would this be suitable to render over your insulation on the dome?
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Now that looks better and better everyday. I can almost smell the bread baking!
    I noticed that you have a thermal break between the entranceway and dome and its full of insulation. That's good but the bare surface of the insulation not so good . Those fibres have to be sealed in you can't leave them open to the air. You can fill with a piece of metal tube or channel but that could be hard to shape and get the correct dimension. You also could fill with a pearlite cement mix ...
    Anyway that's your thoughts on it ...has anyone else any ideas
    Whilst I asking what are you finishing the dome with ( notice I didn't us the term plan either)
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Finally got around to cleaning the area and tucked in insulation blanket.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Tomorrow morning will be fine.
    Pulled the forms and did a quick clean up. Still standing.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Tomorrow morning will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Well something resembling an arch has emerged. How long should the mortar cure before removing the form?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Dave, I doubt I could ever be a Cobbler in your sense, but I am known to "cobble" things together. This is a pic of me finishing a project I put together for a friend who also had polio. He is more affected than I and needs to sleep and spend much part of the day in a hospital bed. He has been very afraid (almost phobic) that power would go out and he would be trapped in the bed. He also could not afford an off the shelf solution and asked me to come up with something. I cobbled together a box that switched between house power and an inverter connected to a retired wheelchair battery. It worked and should keep the bed powered for weeks (enough to get through a hurricaine). I was pretty proud of the result.
    Gudday Bruce
    Now you have got my attention ... Elec.trickery now that's something I know nothing about. I can change a light bulb but anything over basic 12 volt car power I never touch. I'm a bit respectfully of something you can't see that will kill you and unlike wood and leather and steel you can't use a hammer on it.
    I suppose each to there own
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Bruce....sorry to get off track.
    Enjoyed hosting the back and forth. I hope to meet Dave someday either in the States or on his turf. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Annie M.
    This is a great build... it has it all... innovation, community & strong spirit! AND the added bonus of a door idea I can modify for my oven... Thanks!!!!
    Annie, thanks for joining in. I am finishing up the door and will post about this shortly. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    You getting along at a cracking pace now. You would be pleased I'm sure . Really impressed with the trammels , there real inventive. if you ever consider coming out of retirement and need a new career come down under and I'll make a Cobbler out of you!
    Regards dave
    Dave, I doubt I could ever be a Cobbler in your sense, but I am known to "cobble" things together. This is a pic of me finishing a project I put together for a friend who also had polio. He is more affected than I and needs to sleep and spend much part of the day in a hospital bed. He has been very afraid (almost phobic) that power would go out and he would be trapped in the bed. He also could not afford an off the shelf solution and asked me to come up with something. I cobbled together a box that switched between house power and an inverter connected to a retired wheelchair battery. It worked and should keep the bed powered for weeks (enough to get through a hurricaine). I was pretty proud of the result.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Gudday
    You make it hard stonecutter ....yes I'd gladly redo your boots but we don't get the American Vibrams in Aust only the European ones....I was thinking on the lines of posting a couple of pics and we get Bruce to do the job
    Regards dave
    I can send them to Danner, they have a bunch of packages that have different options.

I have great interest in craft/trades that involve a lot of custom handwork, and I have various levels of experience with blacksmithing/metal working, pottery, and woodwork. The cobblers trade has always been interesting to me because of the work involved and we had a few near me in CT. They were old timers that really knew their stuff and resurrected many pairs of battered old work boots..a couple for my dad. Really cool stuff.

Bruce....sorry to get off track.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X