X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Something that is nice to work with and makes nice forms, is 2" rigid foam insulation board.

You can trace your shape on it, then cut it with a jig saw ( fine tooth blade) dry wall saw, or razor knife. The later won't cut all the way through, so you snap it like dry wall, then clean it up.

Make three of these and you can screw them together for a fast easy form. I had foam EIFS board laying around, and that is what I used for my entry centering.

I won't be online until later but I can diagram this technique later if you run into trouble.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 07-11-2013, 05:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I wanted to share the technique for laying out semi-circle (Roman) arches. Here's an example with arbitrary numbers

First, you need to know your span...lets say 20 inches. Draw a center line at 10" that crosses your span line on both top and bottom, at least 20". Now lets say your rise is 10"...mark that on your center line. You now have three points of a triangle.

Next, measure your distance starting from the center point of your rise, to one sidepoint of your span...right or left. Now, draw a line between these two points, and mark the center.

Using the line you just made, set a square on the line on the center point. The square is now crossing your center line below the high point of your rise. Draw a line along the square until you cross the center line.

This point is where you set the point of your trammel or whatever you are using to trace the arch. Now you have a perfect semi-circular shape for your form ( called centering in masonry).

If you know this already, forget everything I just typed.
    Stonecutter, I need all the help I can get working out the arch. I think I understand your instructions and will try the technique shortly. Assuming I am able to successfully trace out the arch, what is the next step? If you assume total ignorance on my part, you are still likely overestimating my knowledge. Thank, Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce

What's your thoughts on what's a usable size in height and width for you in the chair? In saw the pics of you trying out the peel would I be right in saying the width would be better to be bigger?

Regards dave
    Thanks Dave,
    I went back and looked at the photos, the only problem I remember in Colorado was the height which was awkward (pics 1 & 2). You may be thinking of pic 3 from a few days ago. It is actually a heavy mop that I was using to swab the back of the oven. I don't think a 9"-12" entry will be cause problems working from the chair.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I wanted to share the technique for laying out semi-circle (Roman) arches. Here's an example with arbitrary numbers

First, you need to know your span...lets say 20 inches. Draw a center line at 10" that crosses (at a 90* angle) span line ( spring line) on both top and bottom, at least 20". Now lets say your rise is 10"...mark that on your center line. You now have three points of a triangle.

Next, measure your distance starting from the center point of your rise, to one sidepoint of your span...right or left. Now, draw a line between these two points, and mark the center.

Using the line you just made, set a square on the line on the center point. The square is now crossing your center line below the high point of your rise. Draw a line along the square until you cross the center line.

This point is where you set the point of your trammel or whatever you are using to trace the arch. Now you have a perfect semi-circular shape for your form ( called centering in masonry).

If you know this already, forget everything I just typed.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 05-07-2014, 07:16 AM. Reason: Added detail

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Know any good examples of relatively easy to build entries?
    My suggestion would be to build the entry in semi-circle form. This shape will give you plenty of room for your door, good visibility, and is stronger than an arch with straight sides. As a plus, it's easy to build.

Only one brick length needed, the depth will be 9.5" or so.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I can't think any any builds that go into much detail. Lately the most common entrance way is brick usually an arch following the shape of the entrance only bigger in size to leave a revel for the door.
    What's your thoughts on what's a usable size in height and width for you in the chair? In saw the pics of you trying out the peel would I be right in saying the width would be better to be bigger?
    One suggestion would be to extend you oven entrance by 1/2 brick to help you finish the insulation and render to allow you time on the entrance?
    What are your thoughts
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Like Al said those fibers are a concern so use PPE.
    In wondering how you were going to marry the front of the oven and the insulation/ cladding. You'll have 2 in of insulation and 3/4 inch cladding? And doesn't appear that you have much of a oven lip to butt that too. Off course I'm just looking at the photos
    Regards dave
    Al, no space suit (sadly) but did wear gloves and a mask. I actually found it easier to work with the cutting the cf board.

Dave I am thinking I will end up with an entry. I loosely laid out the blanket and have at least 4 " with 5" on the top. I decided not to do the cladding, as feedback from the forum was basically go ahead if you want but not much benefit either in the thermal or structural departments. Open to suggestions on dealing with the limited self of the inner arch. It seems to me that an entry would solve the issue. I have a used 8" adapter plate that I paid $22 for. Maybe do the outer arch and install the plate . Know any good examples of relatively easy to build entries?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

I will be using CF blanket. Any concerns?
    Gudday Bruce
    Like Al said those fibers are a concern so use PPE.
    In wondering how you were going to marry the front of the oven and the insulation/ cladding. You'll have 2 in of insulation and 3/4 inch cladding? And doesn't appear that you have much of a oven lip to butt that too. Off course I'm just looking at the photos
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Wear a space suit when handling it.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    What are you using for dome insulation ? I was thinking of thickness of the insulation in relation to the current lip of you oven entrance
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    What are you using for dome insulation ? I was thinking of thickness of the insulation in relation to the current lip of you oven entrance
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Kudos on closing the oven.........
    Thanks.. I think I will start the cladding tomorrow. Still haven't decided on entry. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Kudos on closing the oven.........

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday
    Myself If I was a betting man my money would be on little cracks in you oven. Those few extra gapes etc will I sorb the movement in the heating and cooling of you oven. Well there is only one way to find out.
    Regards dave
    Nice to know my gaps are (as Microsoft would put it) a feature not a bug.

I spent this a.m. cleaning up the oven. I then tackled and the tile saw and I ended up with a bucket of sludge. Anyways here are a few more pics.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

I hear it gives it that special DIY WFO flavor.
    Gudday
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	553.7 KB
ID:	295900
    Gapes don't matter
    Use stainless needles ..... I wouldn't bother the domes strong enough by its self to hold up the sparging layer. Firebrick sludge .... Don't know it would be the same as the dome for thermal mass I suppose as its firebrick. It would treat the propotions as for the sand ...the agregeate .If you using the store brought high temp mortar ... Perhaps not, as it would possibly effect the strength of the product.
    Anyway there my thoughts on that. Again well done on the dome!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X