• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post

Do not worry about that hidden brick, the mortar will eventually fall into one of your future pizza's and you will again see the brick.
    I hear it gives it that special DIY WFO flavor.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Well we have a dome happy to be the first to congratulate you!
    I wouldn't worry about that mortar its V shaped so its not like it will drop in on anything I recon.
    Would like to see some of the inside though. Yes I know its not like some of those perfect fitting brickwork ovens that we all seem to admire.
    Myself If I was a betting man my money would be on little cracks in you oven. Those few extra gapes etc will I sorb the movement in the heating and cooling of you oven. Well there is only one way to find out.
    So on to the insulation layer? Sparing layer?There seems to be a bit of talk about the importance of insulating in prevention cracking as well . I'm not sure but it wouldnt hurt.
    Regards dave
    Dave, Thanks for the congrats. Yes, I pounded the keystone in to the delight and cheers of the crowd, the popping of champagne corks, and the sound of trumpets. Well not so much any of that last part. I will attach pics to this post, fair warning, they aren't pretty (I'm referring to the brick work; not to me). Still I think the dome will support itself and I did keep the dome height right at 19". Still, having it to do over I would take down a few rows rather then try do it the way I did.

I think the next step is to add the extra thermal mass to the dome. Should I add anything to the refractory mortar (like stainless steel needles or firebrick sludge). After insulation, curing , and working out the entry. Somewhere in there waterproofing.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Well we have a dome happy to be the first to congratulate you!
    I wouldn't worry about that mortar its V shaped so its not like it will drop in on anything I recon.
    Would like to see some of the inside though. Yes I know its not like some of those perfect fitting brickwork ovens that we all seem to admire.
    Myself If I was a betting man my money would be on little cracks in you oven. Those few extra gapes etc will I sorb the movement in the heating and cooling of you oven. Well there is only one way to find out.
    So on to the insulation layer? Sparing layer?There seems to be a bit of talk about the importance of insulating in prevention cracking as well . I'm not sure but it wouldnt hurt.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

The molding clay idea is great. Way to think out of the box.

It might also work for other difficult cuts like at the inner arch transition or flue transition.

Do not worry about that hidden brick, the mortar will eventually fall into one of your future pizza's and you will again see the brick.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Problem is not everyone post there mistakes it seems . You have a goodly collection of brick slithers to pick from why don't you just par them down and pack that hole till it wont take any more. You have kept the mortar thin to date so why stop now and put a big blob in the middle.
    Regards dave
    Les, Dave, and Brickie - talk about an anticlimax. I took out a cup of coffee and it was still warm when I had the plug made to a decent approximation. I had the idea of filling the hole with modeling clay and made a quick form. I used calipers to measure the length and width at the top, middle, and bottom and marked a brick. Four quick cuts and I had a plug that slipped in with about 3/4" above the rim. Two quick nips with the saw and it fit.

By the way, I swear there is brick under the large areas of mortar near the plug.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Problem is not everyone post there mistakes it seems . You have a goodly collection of brick slithers to pick from why don't you just par them down and pack that hole till it wont take any more. You have kept the mortar thin to date so why stop now and put a big blob in the middle.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    The castable you need for a plug of that size isnt made from home brew, it would just crumble and fall out.

Stick the largest piece of brick, or even two pieces in the hole and bog up the rest with home brew.

Nice bird pics too.
    Thanks brickie, though I should know better than to start comparing wildlife photos with Australians.

I was wondering about the mortar, seemed like it would show up more on the site if there wasn't some reason for not plugging with mortar.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I had loads of bird pics but my computer had a mental breakdown sometime ago, I was lucky enough to recover most of the files, some went to binary heaven.

Here is one pic I still have of a galah, nice birds, almost tame in the wild and very gentle.
    They hang upside down on the power lines outside my place when it rains an chatter excitedly.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Les, thanks for joining in. I think I may test my patience a bit and do so whittling. If the patience runs out, I hadn't thought that the plug could be made of mortar. When I looked at the picture of the hole I did think the easiest way to finish would be to fill with castable refractory. Do you change the mortar mix for filling gaps like that?
    I believe you add stainless steel needles. I never went that route but whole ovens have been cast. Should be no problem for your plug.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I did think the easiest way to finish would be to fill with castable refractory. Do you change the mortar mix for filling gaps like that?
    The castable you need for a plug of that size isnt made from home brew, it would just crumble and fall out.

Stick the largest piece of brick, or even two pieces in the hole and bog up the rest with home brew.

Nice bird pics too.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

As long as we are sharing bird pics, here are two more.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Interesting shape. I think I would just fill it with mortar. If you have the patience you may be able to whittle a brick to fit in there.
    Gudday
    You'll need some one to give you a hand but hold a bit of cardboard up to the hole both sides and draw the shape. Can't find a pic of mine but it was pretty skinny and a pain to make, but I was determined to have a keystone... You feel a little ripped of by the pizza gods if you don't.
    Regards dave
    Sorry how that pic get in there bl&@dy I -phone
    Les, thanks for joining in. I think I may test my patience a bit and do so whittling. If the patience runs out, I hadn't thought that the plug could be made of mortar. When I looked at the picture of the hole I did think the easiest way to finish would be to fill with castable refractory. Do you change the mortar mix for filling gaps like that?

Dave, well the dome came together, hopefully it will hold. I had to do the last few rows partially blind, I couldn't see over the the upper perimeter of the bricks to the lower perimeter. Glad I didn't make the hearth any higher.

We have a small basin in the back of our yard that fills with water. Here are a few pics I've taken of birds in our backyard.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Beautiful bird, wife loved it. Rainbow lorikeet based on google search. Brickie, are cockies cockatoos?

Worked on the oven today, filled in the dome. Any hints on doing keystone?
    Gudday
    You'll need some one to give you a hand but hold a bit of cardboard up to the hole both sides and draw the shape. Can't find a pic of mine but it was pretty skinny and a pain to make, but I was determined to have a keystone... You feel a little ripped of by the pizza gods if you don't.
    Regards dave
    Sorry how that pic get in there bl&@dy I -phone
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-07-2013, 04:29 PM. Reason: Bl&@dy I /phone

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Any hints on doing keystone?
    Interesting shape. I think I would just fill it with mortar. If you have the patience you may be able to whittle a brick to fit in there.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Brickie, are cockies cockatoos?
    Correct, they will eat all the timber around the feeding area, windows, decking etc, they are in plague proportions in some area due to the reliable water supply.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X